Belated Trust Excercise

As Alastor hit the ground, he realized how wrong he was.

Once upon a time, it would never even cross his mind to entrust his life to someone, to trust anyone enough to throw himself to death.  He knew that trusting anyone always ended badly, because no one really cared about him sincerely, they just pretended everything for a reason known only to them. And yet he decided that he would risk it to such an extent that he would try, that he would really believe that one of them would catch him and not let him die.

And now he lay there, feeling the blood pour out of his mouth, the last remnants of consciousness allowing him to see in the distance Adam, Husk, Charlie and the others who just stood and looked at him. Alastor felt like his bones were broken as soon as he hit the ground, and he thought it was ironic because that's how his beloved doe actually died. His microphone fell somewhere next to him, breaking and completely destroying itself.

And now, she just looked at him, not coming any closer, as if she didn't believe he would do such a stupid thing. With his last strength, he rose on his elbow, feeling an impossibly intense pain in his body.

“You didn't catch me.” he gasped, choking on blood  “You said that I had support in you and that I could trust you.”

“Al, I like you, but I can't be against my mom.” Charlie said, avoiding his eyes “Maybe my dad was right and I should never have trusted you.”

Alastor looked at her blankly, he felt the blood flood his vision and he blinked several times to clear his vision for a moment.

“You could have admitted it earlier…”

“Did you really believe that any of us wanted you here?” Husk said and smiled wider, exchanging glances with Adam and Vaggie “And me? You ruined my life, why shouldn't I let you ruin yours, then?”

“You fuckin' moron, I tried to kill you once and now you did it yourself without help!” Adam chuckled “It's good to know that at least I didn't have to fuckin' try!”

“I always said no one wanted you here.” A rare smile appeared on Vaggie's face “Your ego didn't allow you to see this, did it? Who could have expected.”

Alastor thought that if he had a heart, it would probably hurt mercilessly. Or maybe he had, and that was the source of his pain, not the broken bones.

“At least I won't be on a leash anymore either!” a high-pitched voice screeched and Alastor lowered his head to the ground, losing the strength to hold it  “There's always a way!” Niffty giggled along with Husk

“I thought there was more to you than just throwing yourself down. Did you really choose the easiest way to escape? You never fight, dear.” that one voice that usually comforted him now uttered venomous words “Maybe Vox was right when he said you were running away with your tail between your legs. I guess he was actually trying to save me by kidnapping me that one time.”

Alastor's throat tightened and once again he chose to run away rather than face the fact that more people wanted to say what they really thought. He never thought he wanted to die as much as he did when he listened to everyone he actually valued say things he never wanted to hear.  And he sincerely hoped that his consciousness would disappear before someone else spoke.

“I should never have believed in you at all, everyone who warned me was right. I'm glad to finally be free from you.”

Alastor didn't know that someone could die from a shattered heart…

***

Alastor was sure his heart stopped for a moment as his body stopped falling limply and instead came into contact with something hard and strong, like an extremely big person. He blindly moved his hand to see what the hell was holding it, and before he could even connect the dots, a voice spoke up.