~~ 9. ~~

*Sometimes I think we waste our words and we waste our moments, and we don’t take the time to say the things that are in our hearts when we have the chance. - ONE TREE HILL.*

           Lola took a deep breath as a cab enter into Demilade compound. His mother was already in the house so he texted her this morning. And she was nervous. First, she hated that she had to lie to an innocent woman whom she hasn't met before and secondly she had to pretend to be who she isn't.

           If not for life that is not fair and poverty she won't be doing this.

           But she had no other choice, she can't back out now. She brought out a mirror from her handbag - one of those materials that Demilade had paid for - she grimace at the thought. She look at herself in the mirror and she saw her makeup is in place.

           Her friends came this morning to help her with the make-up. And Ibukun happened to be a make-up artist. So it was perfect. She had contemplated what to wear throughout the night. She didn't like the cloth Ibukun help her to pick in the evening. It wasn't looking good to see your boyfriend's mother. So last night. She had to pick a yellow flare gown that compliments her skin colour. And it was simple but classic. And just like the saying First Impression Last Longer. She wants to have a nice first impression of his mother, not the opposite.

            She was proud of her look and she hoped this time she meet the expectations of Demilade. Because he was never pleased with her.

            Deborah and another lady she hadn't seen before came out to welcome her. Even Deborah pretends to be nice. And she was all smiling. But she didn't care anyway. They helped her with her belongings. And they walked inside.

              Immediately she stepped into the now familiar house, she saw Demilade in a fitted native coming down the spiral stairs with another woman. She was shorter than him and she was beautiful in her expensive lace. Since she is a designer, she knows one when she sees one. And it made her wonder how much must have been paid to the tailor who sows the clothes.

           If she had had like four of her as a customer, she won't be here.

"Wow, Lola. You are here. Sorry, I came down late." Demilade said immediately he stepped down. A broad smile was plastered on his face.

           Is this guy an actor? She asked herself inwardly. How could he smile so sincerely when it didn't even come from the heart?

            And it is just to fool his mother. She somehow pities the beautiful woman. Now she knows where the jerk takes his look from.

"It's okay. You are here now." She said in feigned concern and she was surprised when he pulled her into an embrace. She stiffened in his arm and she caught his mother smiling at them before he pulled away.

"Ma. Good morning ma." She greeted respectfully going on her knees.

          The woman looked taken aback and she smiled. "Oh my dear, stand up. How are you? How was your journey?"

"It was fine ma. Thank you. It's good to finally see you ma." She said in Yoruba dialect.

"Omo yoruba ni e? (You are a Yoruba child?) " She asked in surprise.

"Yes, mommy. She is Yoruba. Her name is Olufunlola." Demilade said.

            And Lola raised a brow in awe. What in the hell does he mean by that? Is he trying to get her angry? Her name is not Olufunlola.