~~ 1.~~

*I am who I am. No excuse. *

           There was a small knock on the door and Demilade jerked his head up with a frown. A slender lady in a short skirt and a fitted green blouse walked inside the brightly lit office. Her heels clank on the marble floor as she approached her boss.

"What is it?" Demilade, her boss snapped at her.

            She gave a smile that showed she was sorry for disturbing him. She was not angry at his rude manner of talking.

"Sorry for disturbing you but your mother had called six times now." She said to him.

           He looked shocked and he looked at the time on his desktop. He sighed in frustration. He didn't know he has spend so much time at work.

"I will call her back. Thank you." He said picking up his phone. She nodded and turned around to leave. "Uche ." He called after her.

"Yes ." She answered turning back at him

"I'm sorry for keeping you here for long. You can go home now. You can resume by nine am tomorrow."

"It's fine sir." She said truthfully. She was used to his attitude of forgetting time. He was always consumed with his work that he forgot the time.

            She might have spent longer than her usual closing hour but he sure compensates her for all the extra hours. Her salary was worth all the time and his arrogance.

"Alright." He nodded and he turned on the phone that was in his hand. He usually turns off his phone with his private number. Although, he had only a few people calling him on the number but he loved it that way - no distraction.

           His client and whosoever needs to speak with him call his business line or his secretary.

           He dialed his mother's number and she answered on the first ring and he swore at himself for keeping her waiting.

"Hello, Ade." She said with relief on the phone and he felt guilty. "I have been trying your number."

"I'm sorry Mom. I gave Uche a strict warning not to disturb me." He explained to her.

"I'm sure I will get used to it eventually." She said as usual and he felt a pang of hurt in his heart. She was not happy with his attitude but she can't complain as well. "It's late already. You should be at home."

" I will..."

           She cut him short " Whatever you have left to do, you will finish them when you get home. Okay?" He sigh and nodded.

"Alright Mom, I'll be on my way." He said and he could hear her smile. She was always happy to have him around. She had come to spend a few days with him. And she always wanted him to stay with her all day. But that couldn't work, he have a business to run and that was the most important.

           She said goodbye and hung up.

            He called his driver and asked him to wait for him in front of the building.

            He stood up from his seat and took his suit from the hanger. His back hurt from sitting down all day. He put on his suit, took his phone from the table with his iPad, and walked out of his office after switching off the desktop and the light.

           When he came out of his office, Uche his secretary has already left. He felt guilty for keeping her waiting for long. He was glad she had a car - one he bought for her as a birthday present last year. She deserves it. For four years, she had endured his arrogance and she does her job well. And since she leaves work late, he thought she needed to have one which was safer than public buses at night.