Fifty Nine

"Are you sure it happened here?"

A map was rolled out atop of a crate beside the fire. A slender finger was pointing at a particular market square inside Trost. I stare at the location for quite a while unsure what to make of it.

No one spoke and simply crowded Hanji, Levi, Edward, and I as we sit around the crate. Edward nods earnestly his eyes darker than before.

"Yes. I'm sure." I quirk up a brow in puzzlement. I don't reply as I narrow my eyes. None of this made sense.

"So, you're telling me Nat was kidnapped, at a market square, and there were no witnesses??"

Looking at Edward, he kept his eyes firmly on the the map while retracting his finger. Sweat trickled down his temple as he wets his lips.

"I told you, I asked everyone if they saw her. And they said they didn't."

Levi makes a little humph sound but doesn't contribute. Hanji eyes the map skeptically with a small frown. I still kept my eyes on Edward. I couldn't understand him.

Or, more like his words sounded made up. This market square, NiHaru, was known in Trost as the busiest. With people setting up shopping stands to sell their unique wares had many citizens bustling in that area. And one thing's for sure, there was nothing there beneficial towards any of us here.

"Edward, we have enough supplies to last us two days here," I point out. "Why go back for more supplies? Were you given orders to?"

He hesitates, the way his eyes widen in panic causes Levi to turn to him suspiciously. But his eyes soon harden as if he never hesitated and was irritated instead.

"I noticed that we didn't have enough bread for everyone here so I went back to Trost. Nat just tagged along."

"Bullshit," Levi snaps. "What kind of crappy lie is that?"

"With all do respect, Captain," Edward grinds tightly. "It's not a lie."

"Then you're leaving out some sort of information," I state. "There's no way no one saw Nat get kidnapped in NiHaru. That's one of the busiest market squares."

"Well, that's what I saw," Edward snaps while standing. He gives everyone an annoyed glare. When his eyes land on me I instantly flinch. They were hard, hard with some sort of darkness brewing within them. There was something about his gaze, it caused a shiver to go down my spine. "Look, I know that square is busy but I swear, the people I asked didn't see her."

I swallow thickly, I still wasn't buying it. As much as I care for Edward and genuinely want to believe him, I couldn't. A child could tell his statement didn't make any sense considering the location. I had a feeling he was still hiding something. I just wasn't sure what.

"Alright, that's enough," Hanji sighs. "We're heading back to Trost tomorrow and give Dawk and Erwin the information. We'll see what they have to say."

I watch her roll up the map before telling everyone to get some rest. Standing, I look at Levi who was also staring back at me as well. There was no way we could finish what we started.

At least, not tonight. My heart raced at the thought of Nat being kidnapped by those killers. There was is a cool chill greeting my veins when I remember Edward's dark gaze.

Why did he glare at me like that? And why take Nat so suddenly? What were these killers' motive?

I shake my head, I had to look over the evidence again tomorrow. There's no way I will let Nat get killed. I can't have my soldiers die on me. Not like this.