Seventeen

It was though everything had stopped. Time. The fighting. My breathing.

My body was frozen. And my mind going blank at the worst possible moment. The Titan was ready to devour me, it's mouth open and eyes wide.

I couldn't understand what was weighing me down. Fear didn't seem the case, emotions became dull to me. All I could do was watch the monster leap in the air towards me.

Was this how I would go out? Would it be due to my lack of awareness? Awaiting my unexpected death something starts to ring in my ears.

It wasn't the roars of the Titans or the cries of some Scouts who wished to be saved. I wasn't sure what the sound was, I had drowned everything out. But the sound became louder than anything in this forest.

I hear my name countless times yet I wasn't sure who was screaming. I don't react.

"Emma! Move!"

I hear the desperate yells. It was a male's voice. Something in their voice triggers something within. Their voice brought my senses back. My pupils dilate, I was able to breathe again.

"Move, damn it! MOVE!"

I quickly press the triggers on my handle and send my wires to a branch behind me. I jump away just in time. Only the hairs of the Titan had brushed against my body. Landing on the tree branch I watch the two Titans tumble to the ground.

I blink rapidly, it finally comes to me that I stood like a helpless deer before its predator. The mere idea sickens me to my core. How pathetic did I become?

Anger starts to ripple inside me. My eyes fuel in rage, my lips pulled back into a nasty snarl. How dare they make me look like a fool?

The Titans stare stupidly up at me. The same one preparing to jump once again. I ready my blades once more, anger becoming my strength.

When the Titan jumps I launch myself towards it. I do a three-sixty spiral when slicing off its jaw. Swerving around I cut off the nape.

A strange source of energy begins to pulse through my veins. I was swifter, stronger, and more alert. I killed the two abnormals before noticing the finishing work of my squad members.

Nat, Elise, and Sean had killed a Titan each. They hang on trunks and branches of the trees. Breathing heavily they look around frantically.

I couldn't understand why, they completed their orders. A shiver crawls up my spine.

Three. Only three of my members were safe. A sudden rush of dread washes over me. The blood in my face disappears.

"Where's Daniel?" I shout at them. Sean meets my desperate gaze and gives me a silent shrug.

"We can't find him," he answers gravely. That only causes my insides to churn. No, I think. Not again.

I search the ground and the trees. My eyes darted left and right but no sign of familiar red hair. My hands start to shake, I grip my blades to cease it.

"Daniel," I breathe with my heart thumping tremendously between my chest and spine. "DANIEL!" I yell out his name praying he would give us any response.

Anything to show me he was alive. A loud, curdling scream responds. I swerve to my left. Just a mere few feet from me two Titans swarm a small human.

Daniel somehow found himself on the ground with Titans towering over him. He shook violently, his blades held out weakly before him. The sight worsens when I see someone in the grasp of one the Titans.