Twenty Six

The air around us had turned thick with tension. It pressed down on me like an unrelenting force I couldn't shake off. I stare hatefully at the two MPs before me.

Arron and Booker. Their devious smiles were not something I was comfortable seeing. It only made me despise them even more.

I began to remember what they did. It all unveiled inside me like a drape being discarded. My heart pounded thunderously with adrenaline.

I try my best to hide my shaking fists. Arron cocks his head while crossing his arms.

"I'm truly  shocked. When we saw you across the street I swore it wasn't you." He eyes rove up and down my body. I click my tongue at the action. "Since you're wearing that," he finishes.

"But I told Arron that it's you." Booker announces proudly. "The stupid, arrogant, little girl from our trainee days."

I found nothing proud about his insults or their dumb discovery. My lips press tightly together when I feel something start to bubble inside me.

"Can someone tell me what's going on?"

Edward stares in question at the three of us. With a frown taking over his lips. He was displeased with the way the MPs towered over me and made show by glaring at them.

However, it only caused them to scoff. Both turn to Edward and eye him in consideration.

"Who's this?" Arron muses. "Your boyfriend?"

"And if I was, what's it to you?" Edward snaps with narrowed eyes. His sudden aggressiveness took me by surprise. He glares at Arron as if he's challenging him.

I could tell Arron despised it. He clicks his tongue in disapproval. "Just out of curiosity, you know what you're getting yourself into, right?"

Edward throws Arron an irritated scowl but, when I stare at him I could tell he questioned Arron's words.

"What are you talking about?"

I knew where this was going, my heart sinking to the pit of my stomach. I became pale at the sight of their devious grins, they wouldn't bring it up. They couldn't.

Booker huffs loudly as if Edward's question didn't surprise him. "Figures," he sighs. "Of course she didn't tell you."

"Don't even start." I threaten darkly. I planted my hateful gaze upon them. My mind was raging for me to stop them. Fear was taking course inside me, I desperately try to push it away.

"Oh?" Arron raises a brow.

Booker scoffs, unnerved by my warning. "Start what?" He asks while feigning innocence.

"You know what I'm talking about, Booker." I snap. "Don't fucking bring that up."

His grin slowly disappears to reveal the disgusted frown of his. No longer did his eyes gleam in amusement, they were lit up by hate. It only made me grit my teeth in anger.

"Don't act like you have the right to cover the truth, Emma," he says bitterly. "People like him should know you're a heartless kill--!?"

A loud crashing sound had cut off Booker. He grunted in pain instead as he starts to struggle helplessly. I had shot to my feet and twisted his arm behind his back.

I shoved him down to the table while keeping a tight hold on his forearm. Everything happened all at once. I've never realized I was holding down Booker till Edward shot to his feet in surprise.

"You got some nerve," I growl. "You show up out of the blue and then carelessly run your mouth in front of me."

Booker attempted to free himself, his lips pulled into a nasty snarl. It only made me shove his head harder against the table with my free hand.