Fifteen

We arrived at the castle ruins by nightfall. My squad members seemed to have warmed up to me quickly after our understanding in the fields. As we rode they kept bugging me about irrelevant things.

They questioned if I had a favorite food or if I have a certain pet peeve. All their questions were centered around me. I wondered where these four got the guts to interrogate me in such a way but, I didn't stop them.

It was different to be acknowledged like this for once and not have anyone avoid me. I constantly get the sense of deja vu around them.

"Look, the question is stupid," I sigh tiredly as we walk inside the stone castle. "I'm not going to answer."

"Awe, c'mon, Emma!" Sean cackles behind me. They all follow me like a pack of puppies. "The question is simple!"

"But also stupid!" I sigh with a small smile. "Why the hell would I tell you my preference of men?"

Before any of them could rebuke me, a group of rushed footsteps head towards us.

"Em, you're alive!"

I didn't react to Edward slamming his body into mine, trapping me into a bear hug. I focused on keeping my arms out awkwardly as I try to breathe under his tight grip. I notice Hanji and Nifa. They stood a couple feet away, pressing their lips together to fight back a laugh.

"My god, you scared the living lights out of us!" Edward exclaims while burying his face into the crook of my neck. A tingling sensation rouses my whole body and my eyes widen.

"And I'll do just that if you don't let go!" I wheeze. Realizing he was squeezing me too hard he lets go with a sheepish smile. I sigh through my nose feeling a bright blush coming to my cheeks. "Damn, couldn't you just greet me normally?" I scold.

I do my best to mask the embarrassment I felt. However, it did little when I notice how tight lipped Hanji and Nifa were as their eyes gleamed in amusement. I roll my eyes at the two before turning back to Edward.

"Sorry," he mutters while rubbing his head. "I was just really worried."

"Just her or all of us?" Nat takes a step forward with her hands on hips. She gives him a pointed glare with a pouty look. Edward blinks unresponsive towards her before nodding vigorously.

"O-of course I was worried about all of you!" He exclaims. "I wanted more than anything to help you guys but Captain Levi told me not to!" Nat stares at him a moment longer before accepting his quick-witted response. She drops her hands and gives him a sweet smile instead.

"I killed a Titan!" She says happily. "Aren't you proud?"

I stood silently as I watch the two converse. Well, more like, Nat talking Edward's ear off as she tries to gain a praise from him. The others, Elise, Sean, and Daniel, adding more to the fire by teasing the two.

It was nice to see them so relaxed after the uncanny encounter we had hours ago. But the feeling was short-lived when I hear a loud ahem.

"Oi, brats the more you stand around and run your mouths the more annoyed I'll get."

Peering over Edward's shoulder I see Levi glaring at us with crossed arms. I gladly glare back.

"Who cares?" I sneer. "If you're so prone to getting annoyed while people converse then do us all a favor and quit bothering us."

Everyone pipes down as soon as those words left my lips. I could feel everyone's stare upon us. Levi shifts his weight onto one leg, his chin lifting while his eyes narrow even more.