Fifty Four

Since Hanji ended up witnessing everything I had no choice but to tell her. I cringed when I confided that I had feelings for the Captain. I cringed even harder when she went off about how I lied about Edward.

Even more so when she wasn't under the impression that he was fine. If anything, she scolded me more than exclaiming how right she was about Levi being my type. But I sat through it and endured.

It wasn't like I was listening to her anyway. I was too busy drowning in both guilt and sorrow. I had upset Edward and even more so with Levi.

Was I just the certain woman to anger those I care about? Hanji wasn't as upset but she went to look for Edward. That was hours ago.

Now, I had a meeting to attend to. One that I dreaded down to my core. I clutch the papers in my hands as I make way to the meeting room.

I force myself to only think about my job. However, it was quite difficult considering how my mood was quite dampened. Reaching the doors I don't hesitate and push them open.

As expected Erwin stood before Military Police officers with Dawk at his side. Everyone had surrounded a rather large table. I caught a glimpse of neatly placed papers atop the wooden surface.

When I enter the room, the hushed whispers stop and all eyes were on me. I avoid their stares, setting my shoulders straight while holding my chin high. Striding into the room, I make way towards the table.

"I guess, you were waiting for me, Commander?" I ask briskly when I realized he too was staring. I glance over to him his expression neutral as ever but with a tad bit of warmth coating his cerulean eyes.

"Yes," he replies. "But Levi is late also."

I couldn't help but scoff at his name. It was the only way for me to numb that ache radiating through me. The murmurs began once more and I became invisible. I didn't mind, I wasn't in the mood to talk anyway.

"Well, isn't this a surprise."

Two men strode pass the other police officers to stand before me. I had recognized that voice and found every fiber in my tingling to resist the urge to slam a fist in his face. I spare them a glare, I came face-to-face with stupid smirks.

"I thought Commander Erwin didn't want you working on the case?" Booker sneers.

I give him a little scoff, "Guess he changed his mind."

After that incident at the cafe with Edward I hadn't seen them around since. It did bug me that they were here in Trost but it bugged me more when I realize they're working on this case also. I wasn't in the mood for their childish teasing.

"Or he got tired of you asking," Arron butts in with a mocking smile. I turn to them fully, setting my arms crossed under my breasts. For a second, Booker's eyes flickered to my chest. I roll my eyes at his act.

"You seem somewhat better, Booker," I drawl. "I didn't think you'll be up and about after being slammed down on a table."

I think I struck a nerve. It was not Booker who acted but Arron. He instantly got in my face with teeth bared and eyes cold as ice. I simply look up at him, disinterested in his way of intimidating me.

"You had no right to do that to him," he snarls.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did your boyfriend end up badly injured?" My sarcastic comment brought a rouge color to tint his cheeks.

It wasn't enough to hold him back, however. No, instead, Arron's eyes blazed as if he wished to burn me with them. I held my ground, setting my stony glare on him.