Eighteen

Huge thanks to @kfreak19 
who gave me permission to use their name

Forty-two Scouts perished in battle. Thirty-five wounded while a few were unconscious. Out of the two hundred Scouts that were brought along this expedition less than a quarter died.

Despite our narrow victory within the Giant Forest of Trees no one celebrated. It seemed inappropriate considering the many lives lost. It took hours to wrap the deceased and place them in carts.

When we arrived back to the castle ruins the rest of the regiment only cried for their comrades. What was felt today wasn't a fleeting sensation of victory. But a sensation of mourning.

Even I had no strength to believe what we did today was a victory. I wobbled off my horse with Levi's cloak still over me. Somehow I couldn't find it in me to rip it off.

I don't bother looking for my squad members. It was important to them to see to their wounded and deceased comrades. There was still no update of Margo's condition but I prayed she was alright.

Those hopeful thoughts became useless when I enter the castle. A large group in the corner was weeping and crying immensely. I had noticed Hanji stand little out of the group.

Her face was contorted into a grave expression. Hesitantly, I approach her as I try to not to bother those who were mourning. I catch a glimpse of a body that was covered by a white sheet.

"Hanji," I murmur with a sympathetic frown. Her eyes slowly rove to me. I flinch at the sight of how dead they looked. I don't say anything for a moment and only observed her behavior.

"She was strong too," Hanji murmurs sadly as she rubs her arm. "One of the best Cadets I'd seen."

I blink with a small frown. "She?"

She nods and looks down at her shoes. Hanji didn't had to explain further for I realized who she meant. I turn back to the covered body and I finally realized who was around her.

My squad members, Edward, and the other Cadets. Daniel was the closest and had a hand over Margo's covered arm. He was sobbing uncontrollably, his shoulders shaking as he wept. I suck in a shaky breath, the blood coating my cheeks quickly disappear.

I stare in horror at her covered body. I wished to believe she was alive. I wished to believe I truly saved her.

But deep down I knew, she was already dead when she was in the Titan's grasp. My heart plummets to my stomach and I suddenly couldn't stand being here. I rush out the Great Room and down the halls.

No one follows. I wished for silence. I wished for a place where I could collapse and have my thoughts to myself. I've tried.

I did everything I could to save her. Yet despite my efforts she died. Swiftly, I turn the corner, my exhaustion not a bother no longer.

When I feel like I was truly alone I stop walking. Leaning my left shoulder against the cold stone wall, I try my best to control my hasty breathing. I've seen death, I've faced it countless times during the three years I've served as a Scout. And yet, each time I witnessed the death of a comrade it still hits me like a ton of bricks.

\/\/\/\/\/\/

Night befallen over us. Silence had engulfed the castle. Talk was barely made amongst the Scouts.

Seeing the many dead and knowing the others were eaten wasn't a pleasant thought. Margo's squad was the only one that was wiped out. We had recovered what was left of them except for one.