Fourteen

Two years had passed without me being Squad Leader. I had two years to dump those wretched memories into a dark abyss. And I've almost succeeded.

Until, Erwin gave his orders yesterday. Now they've resurfaced plunging me back into that horrible fold of nightmares. As I sit upon my horse, gripping the reins I do my best to purge those thoughts.

I kept my eyes firm on the gate to the outside world, dismissing the commotion around me. I was reliving a nightmare worse than placing myself at risk for humanity.

But what good would it do if I were to show it? Or even dwell on it? All that matters was I keep everyone safe.

I barely felt the gentle tap upon my shoulder as I was too much into my thoughts. Turning to my left I was greeted with a small smile of a young Cadet. I couldn't help but narrow my eyes.

"Why aren't you with your squad?" I question rudely. Edward doesn't seem to notice the bitterness of my voice and shrugs.

"We got ten minutes," he observes. "I wanted to tell you good luck."

"Tch, I should be telling you that, Cadet," I scoff while shaking my head. "Just a reminder, this is your second time out the walls, not mine."

"I know," Edward said naturally. "But you look like this is your first time out the walls." He points to my face, his lips tugging into a frown. "You're pale."

An irk forms over my temple. My brow twitches and I grit my teeth. I turn away with the click of my tongue. The audacity of him to point it out.

"You're delusional," I snap. "I'm not scared if that's what you're thinking."

"I wasn't," he assures. "All I'm saying is good luck. Your Squad members have faith, you know."

I bite my lip, the weight over my heart becoming heavier. Despite the aching sensation radiating through me I take a hesitant look over my shoulder. Elise, Daniel, Sean, and Nat meet my troubling gaze. To my surprise they all give me an assuring nod. I manage a curt nod before turning back.

"Nat told me how excited she was to be in your squad." I look at Edward who gave me a smile.

I knew he only meant it in a good way but, I couldn't see it like that. It only made my insides twist and turn. I don't return his smile.

"What about you?" I ask instead. "Are you excited to be on Levi's squad?"
Edward grimaces in response. I huff at the strained smile of his. I figured as much.

"I mean, it's cool and all to be with the strongest man in the regiment," he admits awkwardly. "But Levi scares the crap out of me!"

A smile tugs at my lips and shows without my approval. I don't bother hiding it, seeing the glint in Edward's eyes stopped me.

"I'm the only Cadet in that squad, you know," Edward sighs. "It's kinda annoying."

I don't respond. I didn't have the heart to tell him his position was last minute. I take the chance to look over his shoulder.

I see Eld mindlessly looking around as he attempts to ignore Oluo's obnoxious remarks. However, my attention wasn't on them for long. My eyes graze over to Petra who was talking animatedly with a bright blush coating her cheeks.

I wasn't surprised by how glued she was to Levi's side. It was no secret she had strong feelings for the Captain. But when my eyes land on Levi I notice a ghost of a smile painting over his lips. A sour taste suddenly greets my mouth and I twist my face into a scowl.

"Do they really have to act so close before the mission?" I seethe. Oblivious of my anger, Edward glances over his shoulder.

"Ah, yeah," he agrees solemnly before turning back. "That's another annoying thing I got to deal with. You don't know how annoying it is."