Thirty Five

I had to scoff. Me? Teach these idiots who look down at me? I would like to see Hanji make me do such thing.

"Yeah, like hell I will," I spit. "You want me to teach these assholes and my answer is no. I won't waste my time on them."

I give everyone a deadly, dark glare. They stiffen under my glare but no one seemed to cower before me. Despite the nervousness kicking up inside me I was filled with anger.

I despised the way they stare at me and I hated the way they made me feel vulnerable that night. They don't deserve to get a class from me.

"Emma, this is an exercise," Hanji says pointedly. "Erwin said—"

"So what?" I whirl back to her and grit my teeth. "I rather teach cats how to bark then deal with this."

I had so much more to say. I wanted to scream at them maybe even strangle them till they gained some sense. Everything felt hot inside me, my fists even shook with fury.

Hanji took notice and presses her lips together. She didn't have to speak for me to know she was becoming irritated. I was fine with that, as long my words went through her.

"Emma."

A firm hand grips my right shoulder. It brought me out of the dark depths of anger that swelled through me. I glance down at the ivory hand, his calm demeanor suddenly flowing into me.

"Calm down," Levi instructs in a low, stern tone. He stood behind me, his silver eyes firmly on me. They don't waver but only hardened in warning. "It's not worth your energy."

I hold his gaze, every ounce of me screaming the opposite. It was worth it to me, I didn't want to seem weak in front of everyone. But, somehow I found his words to be comforting.

I even thought they were reasonable. It conquered over my anger causing me to take in a deep breath in defeat. Levi nods in approval and drops his hand.

I bite my lip in frustration but don't utter a word. It's like I lost my will to before him. He looks away and side-steps past me, he now faced Hanji.

"Alright, Four-Eyes, we'll teach these pathetic losers," he spats. "Just hand-to-hand combat?"

When I stare at the two I saw nothing but displeasure and strain in Hanji's eyes. I wasn't sure why she stared at him like that, not once have I seen her look at him in such a way. Even when I look at Levi I could tell he was angry. I wasn't sure if that was directed towards her or our exercise.

"Exactly," Hanji replies just as curtly. "Let's try again on communication, shall we?"

With that she gives us both a firm nod before stalking towards a wall and leans against it. No doubt she'll watch us till the end. I release a heavy sigh, damn this exercise.

I look at Levi who also had the same annoyed expression. Looking back at the group I take notice to a few familiar faces but don't dawdle on them.

"Alri—" "You heard—"

I had stopped instantly, and swerve to my right. I stare at Levi in bewilderment. Did he just talk over me? He seems to be thinking the same thing and glares in accusations.

"Don't you think I should speak first?" I hiss.

"Do you know what we're doing?" He challenges.

"Do you?" I snap.

He shakes his head before sarcastically gesturing hand towards the group. "Alright, be my guest."

I click my tongue and turn back. Self-righteous, idiot. All eyes were on me, they stare in question. Puffing out my chest and chin high I start to wonder, what type of hand-to-hand combat were we really doing? I even felt Levi's eyes on me, I bet he was enjoying my hesitation.