Twenty Five

I was perplexed. Edward had no resentment towards me for what happened. Not even a drop of anger.

"Well, I was sad," Edward admitted after a bit. "I mean, you did care more about beating Captain Levi than everyone else."

I bit my lip when I shifted in my chair. I had apologized for what happened and assured him I wasn't in a sane state of mind. Edward was fine with it though.

"As long as we're all alive it doesn't matter anymore." I had caught him grinning at me with his face almost radiating in happiness. My eyes widened before I looked away.

"You're an odd one," I muttered helplessly.

"Only you would think that," he chuckled. "I'm just happy around you."

It was then I realized this Cadet would give me a heart attack. His words were too gentle and kind. I wasn't sure I deserved such words.

My reaction was hopeless. As much as I tried, I couldn't conceal my stupid bright blush. It only made Edward laugh till he whined about his side hurting.

Now, with comfortable silence veiling around us there was a question eating at the back of my mind. Edward was too engrossed in his newspaper to notice. I decided to bluntly ask as I saw no harm in it.

"Are Nifa and Hanji still mad at me?" I remembered the way Hanji brushed me off a few weeks ago, lying to me that she wasn't upset. And a couple hours ago she was acting like nothing changed.

I haven't seen Nifa but I'm sure she's twice as disappointed as everyone else was.

Edward hums thoughtfully to himself before turning a page. "Hm, I would say no. . ?"

"Why did you say it in a question?"

He takes a moment to respond. His eyes were trained on the paper but no longer focused on the words. I waited patiently for him to look at me or even utter a word.

But he sat on his bed, seeming as though he was trying to frantically find words to explain it all. Until he lets out a heavy sigh.

"I'll just tell you bluntly," he caves. "They're pissed. And when I say that I mean, beat the crap out of you type of pissed." He finally glances over to me with a grimacing expression pasted on his tanned face.

I blink twice, I wasn't surprised. I knew they were upset, hell, I even expected them to hate me. Yet, I felt like I was stabbed in the heart.

No matter how much I braced myself for such news or even just a glimpse of their anger, I was deeply upset. It brought shame to my core.

"So, Hanji is still mad, huh." I didn't say it in a way of questioning. I was still confused by her behavior earlier. I guess she only put up an act in front of Levi and Erwin.

"Yeah, everyone is still kinda mad at you and the Captain," Edward mutters awkwardly. I nod mutely without averting my gaze from his. I steel myself as well as my eyes. No use of dwelling on it now. I already expected these results.

"Yeah, I figured," I sigh as I recall those nasty glares. Edward eases slightly at the sight of my relaxed body.

He shrugs casually before picking up his paper. "Yeah, well, you got me, Em. I'm not going anywhere." I huff in response as I feel my troubles whisk away.

"Are you implying that I stick to a Cadet now?" I question with a teasing smirk.

"Why not?" Edward ponders. "We get along easily and I sure as hell don't hate you." He flashes me a quick smile before looking back at his paper.