Eight

"Oh, hell no."

I stand by the doorway refusing to walk further into the room. I pinch my nose as I withheld the urge to vomit. The smell in here was sour and strong.

It was the smell of something dead and something rotting. It stung my eyes and made my body shrivel. Erwin had led Levi and I to the barracks where most of the soldiers slept.

There was one certain floor that has not been used in months however, and I was starting to understand why. The hallway was old and full of cobwebs. There was no stench but opening the first door to a room was traumatizing.

Bunk beds covered in dirt and dust. The walls stained with whatever brown stuff that leaked through the wood. A pile of old cloths was in the corner and I could've sworn I heard pitter patter of a rat's feet. I shiver at the thought praying to God I wouldn't have to see one.

"This is an order, Wolfram," Erwin points out with a scrunched nose. "I want you and Levi to clean this whole entire floor."

I shake my head, this was hard labor. I'd rather clean Levi's clothes than this!

"Sir, this is unfair!" I exclaim with a stomp. "Just because Levi was being an ass shouldn't mean I have to clean up his act!"

"Oi!"

I choose to ignore Levi's fuming and stare up at the Commander. I didn't want to do this. Cleaning is what I'm worst at, and I despised dirty places. He can't leave me in a dump like this!

"Please, sir, reconsider my punishment! Let me do something else and leave Levi down here!"

Levi mutters whatever curses he could come up with. I try to ignore them but with each one was worst than the last. Erwin shakes his head, his eyes staying firm and hard.

"This is punishment," he repeats. "You two don't want to be civil then this is the price for it. Believe me, I had something worse in store but I'm being nice since you just got released."

He raises a brow at me at his emphasis and I glower in response. The lies I smell and sense but, I chose to bite down my tongue. It made my face redden and fists shake, Erwin chooses to ignore my rage. He waves a hand at us before he takes his leave.

"Make sure very corner is spic and span."

I watch him walk down the stairs with fury in my eyes. If he wants this place cleaned then so be it. I won't be the one to do it though. I turn around and stare down Levi. I snap fingers and gesture at the cleaning tools.

"You heard him," I bark. "Clean this place until no more dust can be seen."

Levi stares at me as though I grew another head. Bewildered by my order he scoffs loudly in disbelief. I didn't understand what was amusing. I wasn't joking.

"Who the hell are you ordering around?" He snaps.

"You obviously," I retort. "There's no way in hell am I going into that filthy room."

"Oh, yes you are." He roughly takes off his jacket and tosses it to the ground. I furrow my eyebrows at the sight of him rolling up his sleeves.

"What are you doing?" I question warily.

"If you want to force me to do something, fine. I'll do the same." Levi stomps over to me, his eyes almost protruding out of its sockets.

I wasn't sure what he was going to do but, each intimidating step he took towards me filled me with fear. I unconsciously backed away, seeing the sight of his flexed forearm had me wonder if he was willing to beat me up now.