Chapter 10: Best Buds

Jean and Marco

Jean's POV

After that one day break, classes started up for us. Walking over to my elective class in the art hallway. We were allowed to choose where we sit, no assign seating charts... but someone took my seat. The one I truly loved. So, I took a seat behind my original seat, growling at the fact that some kid took my seat.

"Ahem..." I turned, seeing this boy with noticeable freckles on his cheeks. "May I sit here with you?"

"I guess... most likely that I won't sit here tomorrow." I say, looking at the clock in the classroom. It read, 8:29.

"Really? I believe we never met... name's Marco. Marco Bodt." He holds his hand out for me to shake it.

Looking at it like it was poison to me, I sighed, there was no one else here that I could make friends with. He seemed... okay enough. But one look at him, and it felt that I knew him before. Like... I saw those freckles before. Remembering to this weird dream I had, I remember seeing him there. Those freckles were in the same, exact places. And that smile, sent this weird happy feeling in me.

I take his hand, shaking it well. "Jean Kirschtein."

The bell rings, signalling the time to start classes. Marco smiles, "Nice to meet you..."

*   *   *

Marco's POV

I watched Jean focus on the teacher's lectures, but I couldn't. Jean... like a faint memory. The more I reached to remember it, the more distant it got, or the harder to remember every detail. All I got was from this weird dream that I had days ago... before meeting this cute guy...

Just closing my eyes for a few seconds, I remember bits and pieces of the dream... seemed so real...

Opening them back up, I was standing in this valley. I couldn't feel the breeze, or anything. The small creatures that were running around, ran right into me, and I didn't feel anything. Looking at my hands, I saw that they were see-through. When my breath should've been shaking with fear, I was calm. Calm... taking my few steps, I saw Jean...

He was standing under this apple tree, wearing his Survey Corps uniform. His cape in his hands, letting them flutter in the breeze.

I was a few feet away from him, and he whispered so quietly... but his voice was clear in my head. I heard him... his sweet, sweet words that I always loved. "Marco..." He looked up to the sky, closing his eyes.

Right next to him, and I whispered, knowing that he couldn't hear my voice, since I was dead. "Jean... I'm here..."

One touch on his arm, and these bumps rose on his arm. Jean shivered as I touched him, a small smile growing on his face. "Is that you, Marco?"

"Yes..." A smiled grew on my face as well. Oh, how I longed to hear him say that for a long time. I loved how he grew his hair out, long... handsome... "Jean, it's me... I want to tell you something!"

"Are you actually here?" He looked around, searching for me, but he looked right at me... and he never truly saw me. "Did you have something to tell me?"

"Of course!" I pleaded to speak to him, but I couldn't. No one truly knows what you're saying when you're dead... and I was right there to talk to him... to comfort him when no one else would.

He shook his head, "I'm sorry, Marco... but I think I'm in love..." How those words would stab me in the heart... but knowing him, he had to move on. I loved him... but he couldn't love me... not when I'm dead.