Freshmen 68

Hampton, VirginiaFriday, 5/3"Carter's Helping Hand"

Hampton, Virginia
Friday, 5/3
"Carter's Helping Hand"

{Two Reasons I Cry by Ginuwine}

Hampton University cares about mental health and encourages all of its students to come and talk to us. If any of you are unhappy, depressed, or need someone to talk to then please feel free to utilize our mental health rooms during hours of operation listed below. As the end of the school year approaches, staff is still here to help and assist all needs.

A week. That's all they had left, a week of school was left. What was supposed to be a time filled with excitement at the thought of heading home soon turned into a long week of mourning for Hampton students. The cafeteria that was always noisy was silent. No conversations amongst friends. No HipHop music playing on the large speaker placed against the wall. The staff workers in control of food stood at their stations with nothing to do.

No one had an appetite.

How could they when a fellow classmate of theirs committed suicide in her room. The news just recently reaching the other students after an email was sent out to them from the dean. Some students read it and moved on. Others felt like it didn't say much and quite insensitive. Then there was one that hated the email and disagreed with the school being there to help.

They never were.

She sat at a table by herself. Everyone from time to time looked at her and whispered. She didn't let that bother her, ignoring some of the things that she heard. A tear cascade down her cheek as she stared at the empty seat in front of her that was usually occupied by her twin sister.

Not anymore.

"I feel bad," Dess broke the silence at their table.

Her attention was on Paige, the girl sitting at the table by herself. The sister of Payton Garcia, who committed suicide earlier this week in her dorm room. The sisters were seniors and had just celebrated their twenty-first birthday. How quickly things could happen was the mess up part about it. The thought of Paige being unable to go home with her sister was the worse part.

"I do too," Shai agreed, rereading the email Dean Freeman sent out close to an hour ago. From the first line to the last, he was unable to get the feeling that the man cared. It was clear that he didn't.

"The email is sad." He shook his head, looking up. Dess turned away from Paige since she didn't want to be caught staring.

"What does it say?" She questioned, resting her cheek on her hand.

"A bunch of nothing," Shai answered. "All Freeman says that he sends his condolences to the family and that there's help on campus if needed. Then he proceeds to mention how parties are still canceled and if anyone uses this death as a 'theme' to party will be removed off campus, fined, and not graduate." Shai gave a brief summary, throwing in air quotes too.