The Other Side Of The Wall

The truth of the world was made public by Historia's decree. Within 48 hours, every newspaper had the details of the finding of Dr. Jaeger's writings. As expected, chaos did ensue. Some people accepted others laughed it off, some deemed it a conspiracy. Whatever the people's reaction is, we can attest to the fact it is much better to tell the truth than to keep a secret like the old regime.

Now we gather in the audience hall, awaiting to be awarded our rightful accolades. I don't care much for them, but given the hell the Scouts been through the last four months, we deserve some praise. As my friends chat with each other, I lean against the wall and keep to myself, thinking about the previous two days. Something is bothering me, that I know, but its source is indeterminate. Why am I troubled? My friends are here, Sasha is finally out of bed, so what is my problem?

"Hey, you heroes of the wall." I look up, seeing Hitch stroll over to us. I haven't seen her in a while but seeing her without a taller, stern-face boy… It feels wrong. "I just came to see you guys receive your medals."

Jean nods. "I see… Marlo was...brave all the way to till the end."

"Yeah." Sadness rises on Hitch's face. The poor girl. Marlo, how dare you leave her alone without saying a damn word. Then again… I look to the empty throne in the room automatically. I don't know why I look that way.

"Right, Floch? Tell her."

"Sure. Marlo Freudenberg was an urgent recruit, just like me. But he managed to bring us recruits together. The situation was hopeless and the Scouts were on the verge of ruin. We thought all was lost and were stricken with fear. But he… Only he inspired us."

"Yeah?"

"He was an amazing person."

"I know. That's why… That's probably why he never listened to me."

"But in the end, I'm sure he regretted being there." Floch's words regain my attention. Hitch turns around, gives her thanks, and walks away. Jean, angry, turns around and asks FLoch why he did that, intentionally upsetting her. His reply shakes me to the very core. "Because… Someone has to tell the truth."

Floch begins to talk about the choice between Armin and Erwin, how Mikasa, Levi, and Eren let their emotions get in the way, how everyone knows Erwin should've been chosen, how Jean and Conny stood back, how "fodder" like him should have a choice to decide if they are dying for the right cause. As much as I hate to say it, he's right.

I pointed to the commander back then.

"Commander Erwin is the one who should've lived," Armin says. "I'm not the one who can turn this situation around."

"How can you be so sure of that?" Eren questions as he pats Armin's shoulder. "I really can't say if it was the right decision or not. None of us know what the future holds. For starters, have you ever seen beyond the walls? What is there beyond the walls?"

"The sea."

"That's right. The sea. You haven't seen it, right? None of us really know anything! Fiery water, lands of ice, sandy snowfields! The possibilities are endless out there! On the other side of the wall, freedom is-" Eren suddenly silences himself, his irises shrinking in some sudden realization. Whatever it is, it is never addressed. Levi comes for us and leads up to the throne.

Once we're there, we bow as Historia walks up with a case of ten medals. Slowly she makes her way around Hange and Levi, but there's a moment's pause between her and Eren. But not just any pause, no, I saw it again. The little flash of light around their hands.