Betrayal: The Daring Rescue

Ymir, minutes later

"For now, let's get to a place without Titans! We need to get as far away as possible! My Titan form isn't very fast. If I get surrounded, I won't be able to protect you guys."

Ymir, riding on Bertholdt's back, doesn't understand the reason he and Reiner (carrying an unconscious Eren) are rushing to get away. Now being chased by the Titans that waited hours for them, her frustration with the other Titan shifters reaches a new peak. "Then why didn't we just wait until nightfall?" She hears a pop, looks up from the Titans below to the green smoke signal streaking upwards. Smoke signals? Did the Scouts come to rescue us?

"Unless they brought loads of horses over the Wall, the scouting formation won't work. Someone made that call. I didn't think it would happen so soon. It must be Commander Erwin. A tough opponent!" Another one fires, much closer than the last. "Shit. They're already that close? It's Eren's fault for going berserk."

Ymir continues to look back, her eyes widening as she thinks of the Scouts, one of them in particular. It can't be... She's... No, she is! "Reiner! Christa's here! Christa came with them!"

"Huh?"

"If you want her, now's the chance!"

"How do you know? You can't see her from here!"

"I just know it! She's such a good-natured person, it's stupid! I guarantee she came to save me! I know it!"

"Even if that's true. it's no use! We'll do it later!"

"Huh?"

"Our chance of succeeding is way too low! How will you get Christa out of that formation? Wait for a chance!"

Ymir gasps in shock. "Wait for a chance? Seriously? Will that be after I'm eaten by one of your warriors? No! I don't trust you!"

"Trust me! Christa is indispensible to us, too!"

"Then get her now! Go prove it to me this instant! It has to be now or never! I want to see her right now! At this rate... I'll never get the chance...to see her again."

Underneath her, Bertholdt sighs. "It's impossible. I'm sorry, Ymir." She looks down to the back of his head, flabbergasted. "We don't even knwo if we can escape ourselves, let alone go back for her."

"I promise you," Reiner says, "if anyone, it's Christa I want to save from this conflict! You have to trust us! So just bear with it! This is for Christa's own sake! Got it, Ymir?"

"...Is it...really for Christa's sake?"

"Yeah!"

"Fine."

"Thank you."

Ymir looks to the ground, her face fallen. I'ce come this far...and it looks like I'll have to lie to myself again.

xxxxxxxxx

Joshua

We are closing in on the forest after a long, rapid ride. I almost feel sorry for the horses being pushed so hard, but with a situation as ours, it's a sacrifice we have to make.

I've been quiet for the entire trip, not breathing a word to anyone about anything. It takes every fiber of my being to remember Commander Erwin's words to me to focus on rescuing Eren and Ymir, not killing Reiner and Bertholdt. I know today will not be the last time we encounter time, but...why wait? Then again, how will we get past Reiner's armor? How will we get past Bertholdt's steam? As humans, they were at the top of our class, just beneath Mikasa. The commander has a point, even though I hate it.