Betrayal: Nameless Hero

"All soldiers, disperse! Get far away from the Titans!" He didn't need to command that, half of us were already ahead of him. Between the Titans already chasing us and those the commander were leading, it is an easy decision to make. As we move out the way, I turn back to see if everyone is okay. All non-Titan cadets of the 104th are-where the hell is Christa? I look back to the Titan gathering around Reiner and Ymir, not missing the sight of the blonde hanging to her friend's hair. If Ymir can protect Christa for a moment longer…

We settle on a hill, watching the carnage unfold. The Titans attacking Ymir and Reiner, one able to fight, the other with his arms tied protecting the shifters. I look down to the commander a few horse-steps away from me, wondering how he came up with this plan. However it was born, it is working to slow Reiner down. What is next?

"What's going on?" Jean says. "Is this hell?"

"No," Erwin says as he rides past Jean, "but it will be!"

I frown. "What is he doing?"

Erwin draws a blade in his right hand. "All soldiers, charge!" You can imagine the shock around the Scouts (and whatever Military Police and Garrison remains) as Erwin tells us to advance. It is a deathwish. It will be a massacre. There is no way he can seriously be ordering this. "The fate of humanity will be determined at this very moment! There is no future where humanity can inhabit these lands without Eren! We recover Eren and immediately retreat!" He hits his heart then points forward. "Give your heart!"

Mikasa is the first to gallop after Erwin, of course. "Ah, what the hell?" I follow after her, and soon the others. This is crazy. This is crazy. This is fucking crazy! As we come closer, I look up to Reiner, seeing him unfold his arms to fight off the Titans, therefore exposing Bertholdt and Eren. "There!"

"It worked!" Jean shouts. "His hand's gone!"

"Now's our chance!"

"Hey, Mikasa? Can't you see all those Titans? How do you plan on getting through that mess? You'd have to slip through a horde of 'em."

"She has me, Jean." Mikasa looks back to me while I smirk up to her. "I'll keep them off you. Jean, you follow closely. Whatever we do, we must get Bertholdt to release Eren!"

"Advance!"

"Yes, si-" Before I can even finish that, blood floats in the space where Commander Erwin sat. I gasp in shock as we see a Titan hold him by his arm in his mouth, halting our advance. "Commander Erwin!" I half turn my horse around to help him, I have to. I owe everything the last month to him. Letting me go on missions with the Scouts as an honorary member, him trusting me with the identity of the Female Titan and telling Section Commander Miche about Stohess. "I'll get him, you guys-"

"ADVANCE!" Erwin still commands us even in his perilous position. Does he know he could die here, and leave us without his leadership? "Eren is just ahead! Advance!" Even at the cost of his own life...he commands us to go forward. Towards our freedom. Towards our destiny. Towards our victory.

"You heard him!" We continue forth towards hell, and hell it is. I follow Mikasa via ODM, only severing finger and arms of the Titans who try to reach for her or the other cadets. Not everyone in our collective group is as lucky, for I hear the cries of death from many soldiers behind us. "Keep going Mikasa!" I tell my friend. She nods as we come out of the attacking horde, closing in on Reiner. Immediately she takes off for Bertholdt and Eren, missing the former's head by a hair as he ducks underneath her blades. Distracted, she is too late to notice the Titan that reaches for her, resulting in her capture. She cries out as that ugly, smiling Titan lowers its hand down. I could reach her, but I'm heading for Bertholdt and someone else is closer.