Betrayal: We're Chasing After Eren Again

I didn't know how much time had past once I and my new allies regrouped, but apparently, we did a lot of work. Reiner, however, gestures me over to him for a private conversation. "What's up, Reiner?"

"Are you alright?"

"Is helplessly watching your friends die 'alright,' because if so, I'm peachy."

Reiner sighs at my sarcasm but lets the subject go in favor of a more important one. "How's the civilian evacuation? Could you check how things are going with the rear guard?"

"Rear guard?" That's where Mikasa is, and last we talked, Armin is heading there too. I nod, somewhat eager to join with Ackermann for some reason. "Yeah, I'll check things out."

Reiner pats me on the shoulder. "We'll take care of everything here. We're counting on you, Joshua!"

xxxxxxxxxxx

"Joshua, we..." I turn to Bertholdt, who looks surprised that we actually made it. "Have we... Have we made it, Joshua? Is this the end of the road?"

I shake my head, then turn to look at everyone. "We did well to survive this far. I'll be honest, I can close to death so many times even I nearly lost hope." I bring my hand up to my neck, touching the carving lightly. "We have indeed lost many along the way, but...maybe our training is paying off after all. Either that...or we got lucky. Whichever case it is, I hope it continues for all of us. Now that we're here, let's investigate as to where the supply team went." I look to Sasha, winking at her. "Then I believe we have a special dinner to consume."

As Sasha begins to pant like a dog, Bertholdt smiles. "We never did get around to that dinner of meat we promised ourselves, did we?"

xxxxxxxxxxx

"Okay," Conny says with some shaking in his voice, "I'm going to ask the obvious question. Can we do this without ODM gear?"

"No problem," Reiner says confidently. "These guys are only four meters tall. Their weak spots are not too far above eye level."

"He's right," Jean says, "Size won't be an issue."
Sasha turns to Conny. "The spot's still only one meter high and ten centimeters across."

"Back of the head to the nape of the neck! Worst comes to worst, you can always just shove one up their ass."

"That's the other weak spot? Are you serious?"

I sigh at Conny's ignorance but decide to play along, sarcastically saying, "That's news to me! Did I miss a day of training or something?"

"Come on. Knock it off, Reiner. You want your final words to be an ass joke?"

xxxxxxxxxxx

"Armin!" I spot my friend sitting on the dirt road, looking in the forward direction. He looks too shocked to see us.
Reiner gets to him first, having caught Armin's horse. "Hey! Can you stand? Get on your horse, man!" Armin quickly jumps on his horse and we ride off again, chasing after a near skinless Titan with short blonde hair. By the definition, it seems to be an Abnormal. "I saw the Abnormal smoke signal. Is it that one with the nice ass?"
I knew Reiner had some affinity with asses, but to complement a Titan's? Well...I guess I agree.

xxxxxxxxxx

"Why were we kept in the dark?" Conny asks. "You, Jean, Mikasa, and Armin got to go, but nor the rest of us."

"Because the four of us were cleared of suspicion of colluding with Annie. Being she is of the 104th, it would make sense she had allies in the same class."

Nanaba nods. "That's the real reason we kept watch over you."

Christa shakes her head. "But there's no way any of us are shifters like Annie and Eren."