Paradise in Paradis: Armin or Erwin

Eren

"Have I ever lied to you in my life?"

Eren drags the severed torso of Bertholdt along a rooftop as Armin's words replay in his head. "Dammit, I should've known." Stopping by the charred body of his best friend, Eren fights back tears as he kneels down. "I knew...you were more of a hero...than anyone else… I should've known this would happen. But… I had no other choice but to rely on you. Armin… Why don't you run away?" The tears run down Eren's face as he allows his sorrow to overwhelm him. Before he can get peep a whimper, a crash behind him catches his attention. Through the rising debris, he spots a quadruped beast on a nearby rooftop. "A Titan?" Not just any Titan, but the one they named 'Cart Titan'. Upon him is a blond-haired man with his limbs removed.

As it makes its way to Eren, he grabs Bertholdt and holds a sword to his neck. Once it arrives, Eren glares at it while pressing the blade in. "You just try coming closer! Make one move to take him and he's dead!" Upon the Cart Titan is a blond-haired man with his limbs removed. "What's that? He's got… Titan marks around his eyes. Is he the Beast Titan?"

"Are you...Eren Jaeger?" In defense of having his own identity revealed (not that it was hiding now) Eren draws blood from Bertholdt's neck. The man, however, doesn't seem affected by that action. "You look nothing like your father." That loosens Eren's grip. This man...knows his father? That thought runs through his head as the man continues to speak. "Believe me, I know what you're going through. We're both victims of your father. You've...been brainwashed by him."

Something about the man's eyes reminds him of Grisha Jaeger. "My…dad?"

The man suddenly looks up. "Argh, You're kidding me! He chased me all the way here? Let's call it a draw, Levi. We're in no shape to fight." He looks away from wherever Levi is back to Eren, or should he say Bertholdt. "Bertholdt, I'm sorry, but I think it's the end for you. Eren! Someday, I'm coming back to rescue you!" The Cart Titan and the man depart, leaving Eren with questions that now cannot be answered.

Lieutenant Levi lands in front of him seconds later. "That was the last of my gas. I'll chase him! Hand over your gas and blades!"

Eren begins to take off his ODM. "Right!"

"Hurry!" As Eren loosens the first strap, he hears a low, pained gasp of air from behind him. Gasping, he turns around slowly, unsure if he believes his own ears. There's no way in hell...Armin is alive.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Joshua

Just let me kill him. Let me end this. Reiner continues to live as Hange analyzes a metal case from Reiner's chest pocket. She hasn't given Joshua any command to gut his enemy, so he continues to breathe despite the sword ready to puncture his heart. It angers him immensely. Bertholdt should be alive, why not keep him for interrogation? Let Reiner die.

"Reiner… What's this metal case you had in your left chest pocket? Before we chopped off all your limbs, you tried to grab it with the strength you had left. Suicide pills? Or perhaps a bomb?"

"A letter," Reiner speaks in a dry, weak voice.

"A letter? What kind of letter?"

"A letter...from Ymir. You have to...give it...to Christa…"

Hange sighs. "Only after we've inspected it. Now then," she stands while putting the case in a pocket of her own, "I've got a mountain of questions for you, but your lips seem as tight as your armor is hard. Are you going to cooperate and tell us everything that we want to know?"

"No."

"Thanks. It helps that you're prepared for this. Joshua." My blade has never moved faster. Blood spurts from the small pressure of my sword in Reiner's chest, barely a cut in his skin. I decide not to end him quickly, oh no. I want Reiner to suffer as much as he made me suffer, to know the pain I had all these years. I want him to die knowing that I-