Battle of Wall Maria: Apple Seed

Moments before, on Wall Maria

"I already told you, Annie is doing fine, I'm sure. There's no way she's getting tortured. For starters, don't you think that's unlikely? With powers like ours, one scratch and we can pretty much handle anything. And remember it's Annie we're talking about here. I bet she's in hiding practicing her kicks and what not."
Reiner, however, is skeptical. "Still, there's no mistaking her identity was revealed."

"Even if it's Annie…"

"Oh? Does this mean you're not fully committed yet? Is that right? And what about the agreement we came to? Was that all for nothing? We can go at it again if you want, Reiner. But the next time you lose, you give up your armor to another warrior."

"N-No, that's not what I meant."

"Then pull yourself together. We have only one goal. To recover the Coordinate and put an end to this cursed history. Let's...end this. I want to end all this, with us."
Bertholdt picks his head up. "Understood. I'll try to keep Annie out of my head for now. There's no need to put anyone else through this hell but us. Let's..." Visions of an event back in Trost months ago flashes in Bertholdt's head, but he pushes them to the back of his head along with Annie for the sole goal of his mission. "...end this."

"Bertholdt," Reiner softly says.

"War Chief Zeke." Reiner, Bertholdt, and the blonde-haired hairy man with glasses that speaks to them walks to the innermost side of Wall Maria, to the outer side of the inner gate. There, a quadruped Titan with luggage on its back addresses them on the ground. "Enemy troops are approaching. They've reached the foot."

"Hmph. Thank you, Pieck. Take up your position." Zeke leads the young warriors back to their campsite and holds his mug out. Reiner and Bertholdt tap theirs against Zeke's. "My brave warriors, it's time to settle this here and finish our mission once and for all."

xxxxxxxxxxx

Reiner kicks the pot and cans off the wall then turns to Bertholdt. "Let's go."

"Yeah." They begin the run to their position above the inner gate, just a few meters away.

"Bertholdt, I told you a bunch of times, but… You and I will be in separate positions. So try thinking on your own for once."

"R-Right."

"You don't always have to wait for my signal."

"Yeah, I know."

"You're supposed to be the one with the greatest ability of all, yet you leave it to others when it matters. To be honest, I never thought you reliable."

"I know."

"Up until now…. We're ending this here, right?"

"That's right. We're gonna win and end this."

Reiner chuckles at Bertholdt as they come upon the inner gate. "Keep up that attitude till you're with your beloved Annie."

"I-It's not like that."

"I bet even Annie would appreciate the one who rushes in to save her and mistakes him for her prince. Even if it's you. And… Christa… We'll save her, no matter what." Reiner taps the upper left pocket on his shirt, a small container closed within. "That's our promise to Ymir."

"Yeah. no matter what." The two friends turn their backs to each other, Reiner to Shiganshina, Bertholdt to the enclosed land.

Reiner fists Bertholdt's shoulder. "See ya. I'm counting on you, buddy."