Guess We're Sleeping Over?

(Iris' POV)

The long day was catching up to me, the exhaustion settled into my bones, and, coming up to the house, I muffled a groan. I bet the boys are starving, considering none of them know how to cook to save their lives. I'll have to make them dinner, but relaxing would be much better, cooking for all of them would be a mammoth task. 

I could hear my mattress calling to me to relax, but I brushed the feeling aside. Most of them were superheroes, and Percy deserved a home-cooked meal too, so I guess I should.

Leaning against the door, I fumbled for my keys, before slipping them into the doorknob. Opening it with a soft click, silence poured out, much to my surprise. When the house was quiet, something was either very wrong, they were out, or something else.

I placed my purse and things on the end table, heading to the kitchen. I opened the fridge, and inside was wrapped up sausages with waffles, labeled "Iris". I smiled at the thoughtfulness, knowing they were fine, for now, but I was curious as to why the waffles were blue.

Staggering up the stairs, I changed out of my work clothes, sighing in relief. After I finished, I walked to the living room, my slippers padding across the floor. To my further surprise, I found all the boys asleep.

Barry was curled up with Wally on the loveseat, Jason was spread out on the floor, Dick was leaning against the sofa, Damian was on top of Tim, and Percy had the armchair all to himself. The Little Mermaid was playing in the background, making me chuckle softly.

As soon as I let out the sound, Percy looked up at me, not a hint of sleep in his eyes, so he was never asleep, "I left some leftovers in the kitchen for you, breakfast for dinner. We also watched movies all day so there is nothing to worry about, nobody got into trouble for once."

He laughed at this and I joined him. Usually, at least one thing was broken when everyone came over, it would be a miracle for it to not happen. Like today.

"How on earth did you manage to feed the horde," I asked, incredulously, "and have leftovers?"

Percy stood up, stretching out his arms and back, "I know, I'm surprised too. Feeding my bro's and the speedsters at the same time is tiring."

I stared at him in shock. How on earth did he figure it out? He's only been here for a day! Granted, he has been Wally's friend for a while, but still.

Percy walked over to the T.V, turning it off, "Don't worry, I won't tell. You'd be surprised at the secrets I can keep."

I could feel the truth in his statement, but it felt like it held an even deeper meaning like he had experience with secrets, but I dismissed it.

"Bruce called me earlier," I started, shaking myself from my thoughts, "he said he's back from the meeting and if you wanted to come home you could. I guess the others won't be going anywhere until tomorrow, but I could drive you back to the manor if you want?"

"Thanks, but I think it'd be best if I stayed with these chuckleheads," He pointed to the Wayne boys, all with peaceful expressions on their faces.

I led Percy to the guest room, but he already knew where it was. He would come over sometimes at Wally's request, late at night. Looking back now, he probably was sneaking from his old "home", to get away. I felt my heart pang at not noticing what was happening back then, but at least he was living somewhere much better.

"If you need anything my room is down the hall," I passed him some extra blankets, "and if you get cold use these."

He flopped down onto the bed and kicked off his shoes, "Thanks for letting me stay here, Ms. Iris."

"Of course, and please, just call me Iris. I've told you this a million times."

He smiled at me, a drowsy smile gracing his face, "Night."

"Goodnight, Percy."

(Next morning, Percy's POV)

Sunlight filtered into the room, onto my closed eyelids, the warmth flowing to my fingertips. I was grateful for the small few hours I had of actual sleep, none of the usual nightmare crap.

Running my hand over the back of my neck, I battled with myself if I should get up or not. The bed was soft, as were the blankets, engulfing me and begging me to stay.

But I knew how early everyone would get up, they would probably be starving, and Iris would have to get up and make some food (despite her obvious exhaustion last night). Guess I'm getting up, better to let her sleep. I'm way too experienced in the art of not sleeping, she needed it, you could see it on her face No doubt her extra-long shift tuckered her out.

I sighed, slipping out of the bed, resting my feet on the sun-warmed wood floors, "Come on Percy, time to start everyone's day."

I crept down the stairs, trying to stifle my laughter as I watched the guys sleep. They were on the various couches and chairs, snuggled into each other. Everyone would occasionally stir, changing their position, causing a slight smile to come to my face. I could imagine them waking up and jumping as far as possible from the others, growling, but it was a nicely-deserved sleep they were getting.

I know, my friends and family are made up of a bunch of dorks, but what can I say, you gotta love em'.

Going to the kitchen, I opened the fridge, finding things here and there.

Man, they really need to go shopping, we are way low on groceries.

I guess a quiche would be nice, maybe some apple bread pudding too. We'd have to go to the store if I wanted to make Mom's cookies though. And, needless to say, everything is going to be blue :D

I always enjoyed cooking with my mom, especially her cookies. Sometimes we would wordlessly make everything, just wallowing in the comfortable silence, or do the complete opposite and be total goofs. We would pull faces, make a joke, and occasionally it would result in us getting some batter on our faces. Gods I wish I could cook with her again.

Splashing some tap water onto my face, I shook myself, "Chillax, Percy, you're fine. Just breathe. You're going to be okay. Just plaster a smile on your face, no matter how you're feeling, and act like the Percy everyone knows. Everything will work out." It has to.

 ______________

Good morning fellow demigods, and dear mortals!

*sigh* Poor Percy has to force a smile onto his face and pretend that nothing is wrong in the world. At least he has new family and friends to help, they're doing him some real good, but if he'd only let his façade down. 

So, what do you think of this story? Let me know in the comments!

                 -EthanVenlivrenVari, Cabin #3, Child of Poseidon🌊🔱