•HATE THAT I LOVE YOU 26•

A few weeks later:

"Thank you so much for coming in today Shawn." Captain Montgomery said as I stepped into his office and closed the door.

"Of course, sir."

"Please have a seat." I sat down and waited for him to proceed.

"So I just called in to say that I am so proud of your hard work in this case," he started off.

"Thank you, sir."

"I mean bringing down Kacey's family and Anton's Russian gang and exposing the mafia... I'm so impressed, but not surprised I knew you had it in you, kid."

I thanked him and waited for him to continue. "Tell me Shawn, how old are you?"

"I'll be 30 in a few months, sir."

"And you graduated early from the academy right? Got promoted to detective really quickly as well right?" He asked.

"Yes, that's right."

"Tell me you have children as well?"

"I have a daughter and a son, another baby on the way."

"And don't you worry about the dangers of the job?" He asked as he offered me a cigarette, which I politely declined.

"It's something I try to not think about. I feel as though if I brought it up it would make my wife worried."

"Ah, I see," he nodded, "well, Shawn, you might be wondering why I called you in so early and why I am asking you so many questions," he said chuckling.

"Well, in fact I am," I replied with a smile.

"There is something I need to tell you. Nobody in the precinct knows yet but I'm retiring." He confessed.

"What? But sir, you love it here." I said extremely surprised.

"I do but my daughter is pregnant and my other is graduating college and I want to enjoy them. It's something I've been talking over with my wife for a while now."

"I understand. I myself sometimes struggle with the amount of hours the work requires and with two young children it's hard at times."

"See that's exactly why I called you in Shawn. I want you to have my position." He said.

"What?! Me?" I questioned surprised, "Why not someone like Javier or Darren?" I asked.

"Those two are not done having fun yet. You, on the other hand, just closed the biggest case in recent years, you have a family, you have your whole life made!" He said.

"But I don't know anything about being captain." I interjected.

"There isn't much to know kid. You just learn along the way. You are the right person to lead the precinct. You will have more flexible hours, your salary is higher, you don't have to go into the field as much."

"Sir, I'm absolutely flattered but I think it's something I have to discuss with my wife." I answered scratching the back of my head.

"Of course. Well the offer is on the table. When you have a decision you just have to sign these papers and the job will be yours." He said as he laid the document on the table.

When I saw the salary of $131,570 my eyes bulged out of my head. "Could I step out to make a phone call?" I asked.

"Of course."

I walked off and began to call Beyoncé. She answered on the third ring.

"Helloooo." She answered in a singsong voice.