thirtyfive

8 months later

It was Christmas Eve Eve morning. I was preparing to bake Christmas cookies with Layla as Bella was having her nap.

Brad had left for his run over an hour ago so he should be back pretty soon.

As we began to mix the ingredients the front door opened.

'Wad!' Layla shouted.

'Hello.' He smiled as he walked into the kitchen.

He was soaked from the rain outside. His curls were damp as water dropped from them, his hair was flopped over his eyes. His under-armour top and leggings stuck to him under his shorts and t-shirt he wore over them.

'We're making Christmas cookies.' She told him with excitement in her voice.

'Oh my, I can't wait to try them!' He said in the matching tone to Layla's.

'Do you want to go shower then we'll watch movies and have cookies when you come down?' I asked as he nodded.

He pecked my lips before going upstairs. Me and Layla continued to bake before putting them in the oven.

'You're going to need to get a bath.' I laughed as she was covered in flour and other ingredients.

We went upstairs to find Brad sat on the bed with Bella as she tried to climb on top of him.

'I'm going to give her a bath.' I told his as he chuckled at the sight of Layla.

'Do you want a bath with your sister missy?' Brad asked Layla who was now on his lap.

'Bella you want to get a bath?' Layla asked as she put her face near Bella's before giving her a kiss.

The girls sat on the bed with Brad as I ran the bath.

'Mama is it ready?' Layla shouted impatiently from the bedroom.

'Yes come in.' I replied.

Within a matter of seconds the two were in the bath as they splashed with the bubbles.

The girls were now out of the bath and we all lay in the living room with the cookies cooling on the table.

'Come on Bella, walk for daddy.' Brad encouraged her as she stood up and held onto his hands.

He had been trying his best for the past week to get her to walk.

'Yala.' Bella shouted to her sister; trying her best to pronounce her name.

'Look Bels, copy me.' Layla said as she stood next to her and walked.

Still holding onto Brad's hands she shuffled slightly.

I quickly got my phone out to capture the moment.

'Go on Bels!' I encouraged as I moved closer to them. 'Come to mummy.'

Brad moved back slowly as Layla walked next to her.

Within a few moments she had taken her first steps.