chapter 30

Ray looks at his phone as a message notifies him. His expression contorts a disturbed look. The user was named 'Unknown' and the only word they said was "Hello." 

It's rare for people to text him, and even more bizarre for an anonymous person to communicate with him. It just didn't feel right. 

Since he's nearly in his 30's and could care less about his well-being, he decides to respond to the unidentified texter. Even if his phone gets hacked, he'd just get a new one and start off fresh. 

"who dis?" He texts back. Immediately, as his message was delivered, the person reads it and answers his question. 

"park" 

'Park?' The message was so simple yet feels so nostalgic. He didn't know why, but it just does. "tfdym" He sends the text, only to receive another response seconds later. 

"meet at park, ray :DD" 

Huh, no wonder it felt so . . . significant. He knows no one else who uses emoticons that way, except for someone memorable. He chews his inner cheek, staring at the message for a little too long.  

But all he could think of right now is how? 

How did she know his number's still the same after a decade? How did she know this isn't a different person? How did she find the courage to message him again? 

The thoughts and questions swarming in his head begin to consume him. He feels trapped, for no apparent reason. Meeting her after all these years seems great but pierces a gauging hole in his stomach at the same time. 

He doesn't know, nor does he want to know. 

The time was already 5 PM, hours after having that argument with Norman. A few co-workers remain in the building to finish up some assignments while the rest left to go home. 

Ray stayed because he was behind on some work, but it wasn't too much. 

After a few minutes of deciding and debating, he picked his choice. For all he knows, the unknown person was probably someone who's pranking him or something, but the will to care suddenly releases from his shoulders, letting himself feel a bit lighter. 

Meeting her was the one dream he wishes to come true. And right now, his desires may be fulfilled. To him, she means everything. For one more time, he wishes to see her. 

The decision, his decision was final.

After a decade of no communication, Ray was going to meet (Y/N). 

10 years ago, (Y/N) was described as an odd one by many of her acquaintances. In Grace Field Academy, a high school meant to nurture future leaders, (Y/N) never seemed to fit in just right. 

Yet, she was very intuitive and mischievously smart. Honestly, she wasn't Ray's type. 

Though, somehow, she manages to make him fall head over heels for her. This girl, this imperfectly perfect girl, created such a big impact on his life. 

Why did the gods bless him with her? His feelings for her are so unclear, two opposites in one. It doesn't make any sense. 

As the cherry blossoms shower down the park, her figure sits on a bench that faces the tree filled with pink blossoms. 

Her hair was much longer than back in high school, but it's probably just him. 

She's so beautiful . . . 

His breath shakes as he gazes at her, relief escaping his mouth. 

The feeling of eyes peering through a corner startles (Y/N) as she looks towards Ray's direction, locking eyes with the boy she loved in high school. 

As his silhouette approaches her, a small tear sheds down her right cheek. The lump in her throat clogs her airway as his gaze looks down on her, while she looks up at him. 

Another weird, nostalgic feeling Ray's sensing. 

She gulps and speaks first. "Hello again, Ray." 

Even after 10 years passing by, her voice, her face, her personality still takes his breath away. 

His brows furrow, seemingly glaring at her. 

As she's about to comment about his way of greeting her, his hand reaches for her cheek. Her heart flutters at the touch and she glances at his thumb, which was gently rubbing her face. 

"You . . ." He silently gasps, "You are real, huh?" 

"As real as ever." 

Arms wrap her tightly for a hug and she remains still, unable to think about what she should do. Begrudgingly, her arms tremble as she embraces him back, clenching on his shirt. 

"I found you, (Y/N)." He whispers. "You . . ." 

"You're as beautiful as the day you've left me." 

His words made her feel special. Suddenly, she forgets why she had left him, why she had left the memories they shared. She forgot about everything. All of her negative thoughts disappeared, no longer existing. 

"You're . . ." Her shirt stains of his tears, "You're a dumb idiot." 

She giggles in a saddened tone, "I know." 

His grip on her body slightly loosens up, "For ten years, I felt so . . ." 

"So lonely."