chapter 29

"Oh, good morning Ray. You're early." Norman greets Ray, as usual. "Did something happened?" 

Ray grumbles as he answers his question, slumping on his work seat, which was just next to his friend. "I don't know, didn't sleep much." He yawns and turns to him. 

"Um, do you remember . . . what's her name, uh, (Y/N)? I think that was her name?" This piques Norman's attention. 

"(N/N)? Y-Yeah, of course, I remember her." He says. "Why?" 

"I had this long dream about her. Or like, I just relived my memories with her? I don't know." The dream he had was still replaying in his head, which troubled him. 

"Ah, really? That's pretty interesting." Norman smiles faintly as he turns on his desktop, getting ready for work. 

"We've never managed to find her, huh." 

Norman felt his heart drop when he heard Ray's hushed words, but decides to ignore it, getting his mind off his childhood friend. 

"We . . . I don't think we can do anything about it, Ray." 

Ray glares at him as he crosses his arms around his chest, "What the hell makes you think that?" The tone of his voice was sharp and aggressive-sounding, but Norman remains unfazed about his changed mannerism. 

"I mean, the last time we've seen her was weeks before the summer break. For all we know, she could be dead." He argues.

"Well, what if she isn't? What if she's somewhere? She could be anywhere in the world, Norman!" 

"You don't know that Ray!" 

"You don't either!" 

Their raised voices echo through the halls, startling other workers that were also early for work. 

"I don't want to argue with you right now, it's a goddamn Monday." Norman pinches the bridge of his nose, refusing to look at him. "Let's just talk about her later, or never, that'd be better." 

"Whatever." Ray rolls his chair away from him, grumbling under his breath. 

As the silence arouses the workplace, guilt gradually builds upon both their shoulders. The more they think about the other's remarks, it may or may not be possible for (Y/N) to be alive. 

But, they still refuse to talk to each other or even agree with each other. 

So as their other co-workers enter their designated offices, all they felt throughout most of the morning was the tension between Norman and Ray. 

Well, except for one person.

"Norman!" 

His voice was as loud and energetic as ever, kind of annoying, but hey, at least he gets the work done. 

Norman sighs and turns his chair around. 

"Hello, Don." 

Don was a year younger than the two, very exciting to talk to, and is quite tall and lanky. 

"How's the missus?" He grins, earning an inaudible scoff from Ray. 

"She's doing great. Thanks for asking." 

"That's good, I was just saying 'cause she's at the ground floor's counter right now so," He points at the entrance with his thumb as he informs this, causing him to gasp and clear his throat. 

He fixes his desk out of anxiousness, "Thanks for telling me, I'll, was she looking for me?" He stutters. 

"Yeah, I think so." 

Norman nods his head, "Okay, I'll be there in a bit." 

After he said that, Don gestures his goodbyes by doing finger guns, chuckling along the way. 

Ray rests his head against his palm as he reviews his work. "Wonder what Emma's doing here." He says, directing to Norman. 

"It's probably nothing too serious." He waves his hands, smiling awkwardly. 

"Norman, you know you're definitely not gonna get any head—" Before Ray could finish his joke, Norman harshly smacks the back of his head, blushing brightly. 

He covers his lips with his index finger, not fazed by the eyes staring at them. 

"You better shut that damn mouth of yours, y-you lazy ass." 

Ray's laugh mocks him as he walks out of the office, heading to where Emma was waiting. 

"That bastard never keeps his mouth closed when it comes to dirty jokes I swear—" Norman stops when he notices the orange antenna that stuck out from everything else. 

From Emma's perspective, she sees her husband's tall, lanky figure, making her grin and wave at him. A few moments go by and Norman smiles at her, approaching her while waving back. 

"Hi, lovely," Emma says. 

"Hello darling, what are you doing here?" Norman hugs her and lets out small chuckles, "Not that it's bad or anything." 

"Well," She pulls away and stares at his eyes, "My co-workers and I have been searching for a while," Her voice gradually sounds more excited than usual, "And I think we have a trail leading to where (Y/N) is!" 

When he heard this, he was absolutely speechless. He honestly didn't know what he'd say, the news was just so mindblowing. 

"Wha, I, really?" He stumbles over his words, feeling overwhelming emotions. "Are you actually serious?" 

"Now, now, it may be just a false alarm, but we're checking the DNAs to clarify if it is actually her." The happiness still remains on her face, "But I'm pretty sure it is!" 

Norman nervously laughs. "That's great to know Emma." 

"Anyway, since I'm here, I brought you some lunch." She pulls out a paper bag that was neatly sealed with a heart-shaped sticker and gives it to him. "You forgot to bring it, as always." 

He feels heat on his face as he accepts the bag, smiling at the heart sticker. Looking back at her, he leans a bit forward and presses his lips against her forehead, whispering a small 'Thank you.'

"You really can be cute sometimes." 

"Heh, I know."