chapter 3

Waiting for Emma's exhausted figure moving out of the gymnasium is a routine (Y/N) got used to. She isn't much of a volleyball fan, so she'd just wait outside for her to finish practice. Yes, she is allowed inside, but she didn't want anyone to focus on her.

The sky's soft blue colors begin to cascade with shades of vibrant tones, such as red, orange, and a hint of pink amongst the clouds.

Golden hour, most of the students call it.

Truly, it looks like a shimmering pigment of gold. She sweeps behind a strand of her hair that bounces off the sun's rays with it's shiny texture. Unlike Emma, who radiates light, (Y/N) merely bounces it back. This interesting factor captures someone's attention.

A boy, specifically.

He's always seen seated on the bench nearby the tree she stays at. Normally, he reads a book he'd borrowed from the library, or would bring one of his own. His appearance is rather . . . edgy? His hair is almost never tidy, his eyes show tiredness and sleep deprivation, with the bags under them giving it some extra points.

Yet, he's just like any other student. Quite intelligent when it comes to engineering and technology. Can attract some girls, but never (Y/N).

Don't get him wrong, he isn't some boastful chick magnet or anything. It just piques his curiosity about his classmate named (Y/N). She's very beautiful in his eyes, with her messy yet stunning (H/C) hair and her appealingly breathtaking gaze. She's normally covered in scrapes, possibly from being too reckless during school hours.

He'd heard that she doesn't have her parents around at the moment, since they're currently working abroad. Must've been tough, he'd think.

Her parents must have been models or celebrities for her to be that good-looking.

Great, he's staring again. A bad habit he'd developed while growing up. Whenever something catches him off guard, he analyzes it for an uncomfortably long time. By now, he presumes that she notices him looking at her, feels weirded-out by the situation, and leaves immediately.

Funny enough, she's still there. Staring back at him. Now he feels what it's like to be stared at for no particular reason at all.

"Is something in your mind?" She asks, her voice raised a little bit because of the distance between them. His face sinks into a soft color of red, flustered, he is.

He stammers over his words, unable to say anything correctly. Her giggle reaches his ears, snapping out of his thoughts. His eyes lay back at her. She mirrors his actions.

"(Y/N)!" Emma catches both of their attention. They now look at her. She glances over to Ray, but doesn't pay much attention to him. (Y/N) takes a peek of the boy Emma is gazing at.

"Let's get going, yeah?" (Y/N) blinks back to her, nodding her head. Emma smiles and heads to the gym to grab her bag.

"Your name is (Y/N)?" The boy asks her in a blank tone. She flinches as his presence is suddenly a lot closer than before. "You're that annoying classmate of mine?"

"You're as rude as always," She sighs. "Ray."