chapter 21

The next day follows, and, as promised, Ray grants his camera to his friend. Sparkles twinkle in her eyes as she inspects the device, giggling.

"This is so cool! Your camera's really . . . techie." She beams. He presses his lips together, watching as she admires the photo developer, flowers and bubbles float around her, as he imagines.

"Smile Ray!"

He widens his eyes in instinct as she suddenly clicks the shutter, a bright flash blinds his vision for a split second a few moments later. Groaning, he rubs his eyes with his thumb and index finger. "Should've warned me sooner, (Y/N)." He mutters.

"I did." She replies, earning a joking scoff from the boy.

"Okay, so what're you going to do with it?" He crosses his arms in front of his chest as he shifts his weight on his left leg, slightly raising his chin. In an attempt to raise his intimidating aura, she flees away, with his camera in hand. "I— (Y/N)!" He calls out her name, but doesn't bother chasing after her, considering that she's a lot more athletic than him.

"Ugh," He shoves his hands in his pockets, "This moron."

Turning around, he walks the opposite direction from where she ran, heading to class. "She better not break it."

The view is as lovely as ever, in Ray's point of view. Once again, he stands behind the rails of the rooftop, his fingers gripping the rim. The breeze's softness blows against his hair, causing to ruffle up its messiness.

But, the wind is one of the least of his concerns.

Multiple scenarios unveil in his head in a quick pace; pictures, mostly. Clear and rather dark images.

A presence causes Ray to blink back to the real world, already sensing their aura, he doesn't bother turning around. As his fingers trace against the rim and slip into his pockets, he small sigh falls out of his mouth, the wind once again brushing against his ebony-black locks.

"Norman," He says.

The chuckle of the snowy-white student fills tense air. "You really know your friends, Ray."

He meets Norman's blue eyes, the faint smile on his face unsettles the suicidal lad. "What are you doing here?" The frame of Ray's eyes narrow, appearing to look like a nerve-racking glare.

The student council president's smile grows, "(Y/N) told me to give you this."

Ray's sight trails off to his friend's hands, which reveals his camera. The stiffness on his facial features loosens into a more softhearted expression. The hands that once held the camera returns it back to the owner, who holds it lightly.

Examining the device, he notices that (Y/N) indeed used it, the original number of films inside of it decreases by two, yet, no scratches are visible.

"It was weird when she just randomly showed up in front of Emma and I and snapped a photo, if I have to be honest." He admits, scratching his chin out of habit. "Do you have an idea why she did that, Ray?"

He stares at Norman for a few moments, then at his camera, muttering a small yet audible "No clue."

'I wonder what's on your mind, (Y/N) . . .'