37

Kingley's POV

Although I had lived most of my life with the Monteros, and have trained in order to protect myself and my mom when the time came, I was never anticipating an attack that would leave my mom disabled.

Flashback.
We are under attack! The siren rang. Everyone knew protocol. If the siren rang, you left whatever you were doing, and you led those who couldn't fend for themselves to shelter. Then those who could fight would gear up and protect.

That was the code. That was the Montero omertá: Protect the king, protect each other. We would do everything in our power to protect our own and everything else would follow.

I was in the music room the day the siren rang. I had piano lessons when I heard it. It has never rang, only for practice, because nobody dared attacked us. When I looked at the corner where the camera to the gate was, I saw we were actually being attacked and the first thing I thought of, was my mom.

She didn't know how to fight nor could she protect herself. I had to find her. And if I met with anyone who would need my help, I would help them.

Before I could leave though, something caught my eye, a tattoo. One that was I have seen so many times as I was growing up, the phoenix. And I knew that it was my dad's guys. Only they had the phoenix tattoo on their right shoulder. He wanted us to see that it was him who had come and he wanted us to know that if he really wanted, he could get to us.

And that moment, my heart stopped and I just got sucked back to when I was a helpless little girl and my mom was nothing but a punching bag.

Flashback on past( Juliana when she was small)

"Daddy stop!" I pulled his pants trying to make him stop. "Please daddy, I beg you." I called out with tears in my eyes. My vision was so blurry from all the tears I was crying but there was so much blood, that if I let go of him, I was sure he would end my mom.

"Let go of me!" he yelled, slapping me. I went flying across the room, and my head hit the corner of the table. When I touched my head, I felt moist and when I tried looking closer, it was blood.

When I looked at mom, she just laid there, in the pool of her own blood, and my dad was on top of her, still pouncing on her, pushing her to death.

I have got to save her. I kept telling myself, I have got to save her.

I crawled as much as I could, but I could see that I wasn't getting to her any faster. The last thing I remembered was trying to reach my hand for her, hoping that dad didn't kill her.

I woke to someone shaking me. When I opened my eyes, it was mom. And the only way I could see it was mom was her because I remembered what she was wearing. Her face was beyond recognizable, and her arms were filled with cuts and bruises.

Her lips were split open, her eyes were black, and her nose looked disfigured. My heart broke when I saw her like that. Every fiber of my body wanted to end my dad and every breath I had, I vowed to pay back the hurt he has caused my mother a thousand times more.

My mother tried to pull me up as talking was even painful for her.

"Let..u-us le..leave." she stuttered. I didn't need to be told twice. With a pounding headache and a painful back, I stood up and I tried helping my mom up. With all the energy she had left, she tried standing up and we walking out that house.

"You..your da-dad wen..t to th..e bar. H..he wi..ll com..e bac..k worse." she explained. She moved as fast as we could which wasn't fast enough. The moment we got in front of the door, there he was, drank and carrying a beer bottle.