𝑓 𝑖 𝑓 𝑡 𝑦 𝑠 𝑖 𝑥

••
••••
Cassandra's Pov
((December 31st 2021))
••••
••

"These fries are really good." Lori mumbles, using her fingers to dip her curly fry into the small container of ketchup they gave her with her food. "Did they use a different frying technique or what? This shit really slaps." She eats the entire thing and looks up from her plate of food. "Um, what's going on with you guys?"

"Nothing much." Julia replies, taking a sip of her milkshake and glances over at me. "Cassie?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Just thinking." I reply slowly, messing over the chili in front of me with a spoon.

Me, Julia, and Lori sitting down at the diner getting us something to eat. Chris and Christiana still out of town for Christmas break, and Reign still visiting her grandparents in Mississippi until school starts back. I been in Wisconsin since December 27th so now I'm just waiting till school start back but mostly I'm just enjoying my time at home. Today is December 31st and tomorrow it'll be January 1st, which mean it'll be a brand new year. I'm not too excited about that because I don't usually care too much about it but I'm hoping it bring a lot of good things in my life. Lord, knows I need it anyway.

This semester I'm really just focusing on my grades and making sure I get into a good college.

I think I wanna major in Environmental Studies. It's a somewhat difficult subject to study cause you gotta learn all about physics, geology, biology, atmospheric science, chemistry, and mathematics all at the same time, but I'm confident in myself because I always been interested in climate change and pollution and even though I hate doing it, I'm really good at math and I always done excellent in biology.

If not Environmental Studies then I'd probably want to go with African American studies. I was also thinking that I could maybe go ahead and take a gap year before I start so I could see all my options but I'm sure real on that either. All I know is I gotta figure it out soon cause graduation slowly starting to creep up on me. That actually reminds me on graduation pictures. Now I really gotta start saving my money up cause I wanna make sure I look great for picture day.

"So, I'm turning nineteen in a couple weeks and you guys are invited. Basically anyone is invited but I'm letting you guys know so you can feel special." Lori tells us. "It's a house party so please bring booze."

"What kind of booze?" Julia asks.

"Wait, why are you guys calling liquor, booze?" I ask, looking up from my probably now cold bowl of soup.

Lori shrugs. "Why wouldn't we call liquor, booze?"

They're really white. I don't know why I be questioning they dialogue. "Ok, so what kinda booze do you want?"

"A really nice bottle of scotch." Lori answers easily.

"For a party?" Julia asks. I think she's right to be a lil hesitant on that. I rarely ever see people drinking scotch at house parties. Especially teenagers. I feel like that's more of a drink popular with older people.

"For me." She clarifies. "The lowest bottles I know of are usually, like, eighty dollars. An eighteen year old bottle can cost almost two hundred dollars."

"Why would you pay two hundred dollars for something that old?" Julia asks and Lori sighs with a smile.

"It's the taste, man. The taste is unbelievable." She explains and I just know she discovered Scotch while rummaging through her grandma and grandad liquor cabinet one fateful summer day when she was littler.

Julia takes another sip of her shake. "I think we'll be able to get it for you." And Lori nods, picking up a fry.

My phone notifications dings and I pick it up, seeing it start to go off the hook. All from instagram. I see a notification that somebody tagged me in a post but it's a old one. Like, five days old. I think my phone need to be updated or sum cause I be getting notifications and they never come to phon on time. If the updating don't work I'mma probably go get a new one.