𝒔 𝒊 𝒙

chapter six

Cassandra pov

It was finally Friday night. I just got off of work some hours ago and I was ready to have fun, get drunk, and listen to bomb music. I'd like to think I'd look nice. I wore a white mini skirt, a fitted white half belly shirt, and finished it off with my white platform converse. I put on some mascara, then some eyeshadow, and I had bought some lashes from the beauty supply earlier. I was pretty much all set.

I checked my phone for what felt like the millionth time tonight trying to see if my Uber was outside. No notifications. As usual.

Turns out I didn't even have to sneak out tonight because mama and daddy went to visit my Grandma Vera because she fell and broke her hip. I don't when they gonna be gone but I hope they gone long enough. I heard a knock on my door. "It's open." I called out and the door creaked open. It was Henry irritating self.

"Finna party with them crazy white kids, huh? Those shoes loud as hell, floorboards creaking like a motherfucka." Henry said closing the door behind me as I continued to check myself out in the mirror. "You got a ride there?" He asked collapsing on my bed with a lazy groan.

My phone dinged and I smiled a little when I saw it was a message from Uber. "As a matter of fact..." I trailed off reading the message they sent me. I frowned. Ride was canceled. Money refunded. Next Uber would be an hour wait. "I don't. They canceled." I said with a sigh sitting down in my chair.

"I can take you," Henry said and I turned to him with a skeptical look. "What you want?"

"I gotta want something to give you a ride somewhere?" He asked trying to act hurt and I rolled my eyes, a thing that reminded me of that Hailey girl. I wonder what she's up to right about now. Probably looking in the mirror staring at her own reflection thinking about how cute she was. Because yeah, she's cute, and has clever one liners, and nice teeth.

"So you don't want nothing?" I asked Henry snapping myself out of my thoughts.

"Nah, I do. We can discuss it on the way though. Be in the car by the time I'm ready or you getting left." He said getting off my bed and walking out the door. I sighed and gathered all my things I'm bound to need. My house keys, perfume, sunglasses, extra pair of lashes, wallet, loose change, phone charger, and my portable charger. I put everything in my purse before heading to the bathroom and double double checking if I looked good.

I pulled out my phone that I made sure to charge earlier, it was ninety eight percent by the way, and took me a few mirror pictures and selfies. I ended up saving all of them but only posting two because the more I looked the uglier they became.

I don't know how long I took but apparently I took too long because Henry was already in his car and honking his horn repeatedly, letting me know he was ready to go. I huffed grabbing my things before sticking my head the window. "Dang, what you rushing for?"

"Bring yo ass on, Cassandra." He replied from his car.

······

Henry wanted thirty dollars for gas but his tank was full and I knew he was gonna use it to get high but I gave it to him anyways. Henry car was nice. It was old but he still kept up with it. He had a red 2004 ford mustang his best friend, Lamarcus, dad ended up selling him for 2,000. It ran nice, but he still complained about it being a piece of shit from time to time. We had pulled up to the party in thirty minutes.

The white neighborhood Francesca lived in was quiet, but as soon as we pulled up to the address she texted me you could obviously tell there was a party going on. The front lawn was a mess. Red solo cups, beer bottles, cigarette buds, and blunt packages were littered everywhere. The music was loud and bumping all the way from out here, people were chilling and drinking outside, and cars were parked up and down the street.

"Thanks, be back at twelve." I said reaching my hand out to open the door but Henry locked them. I scrunched my nose up and turned to him. "What you do that for?"

"You gonna be safe, right?" He asked looking me straight dead in the eyes. "No getting in some random dude's car, no driving drunk, no doing those strong ass white kid drugs, leaving immediately when you think something finna go down. Answering the phone when someone calling you. Getting out the house if somebody end up shooting it up."

"You think somebody really about to shoot up this party? This ain't West Oakland." I said referring to the bad neighborhood where my aunt lived. A place where parties got shot up frequently.

"White people just as crazy as black people. Scratch that. They even more crazier." Henry said and I huffed letting him know I was ready to go. "Ight, man." He unlocked the doors. "Just be safe." I smiled at him. Where was this kind of big brother attitude when I was growing up? I opened the doors and nodded at him. "I will,"