Chapter Twelve

Zemela's POV:-)

Detention was surprisingly chill, I had to stay back for three good days before Mrs Sexton decided to let me go, Three days! My boss at Cruze farm ice cream had had enough, I lost the job.

But then...I enjoyed detention surprisingly, I met Reggie Abdon, he was also in detention because of Mrs Sexton, Vaughn Washington, she's a she, I never knew girls could be Vaughn. She's the president of the schools broadcasting team, Holden Adams a very goofy and stupid drama club member, I liked him from the very moment I saw him.

                                ~

One week took ages to pass through, my game is tomorrow squeeeee!!

This week wasn't bad at all I encountered less of Bryson Griffin and somehow more of Reggie Abdon.
Vaughn and Holden started hanging out with me, my best friends and my friend during school hours, Skyler wasn't all that welcoming especially to Vaughn, she says Holden is cute with his full afro hair.
Ditto! My best friend and I are alike, Holden is cute!
Arlo had a problem with Holden, he says he's a chatterbox, Holden joked about Arlo being insecure because he thinks he'll lose me to him, everyone laughed about it but Arlo walked away, Sadiki was as excited as I was.

                                 ~
Friday alas!
Squeeeee!!

School went by slow, I think, because after zooming out and creating scenarios in my head, I'll look up at the clock and realize five minutes barely passed when I can swear I spent an hour hallucinating.

~

I had work today at Mateo's Cafe, I happily cleaned the tables and waited for customers.

"Uhmmm.. someone must be happy today" Mrs Mateo the owner of Mateo's Cafe, the local coffee shop I work at smiled, she's a sixty something year old widow with not so nice kids.

"I'm happy" I tell her resting my chin on my palm, "today is my first game in my new school" I inform her.
"Oh my! that's very good" she touched my cheeks she was very proud of me when I got the scholarship, "you should go home" she told me.

"Home? My shift isn't over" I smiled, the door bell rang as a customer came through.

I took his orders, "c'mon..." She paused trying to remember the sport I play.
"Basketball" I laugh as I brew coffee.
"Yeah, c'mon basketball girl I have Mark and John here they'll help me" the duo nodded with a smile.

God! I'm so happy, I have a very kind boss.

"Thank you so very much Mrs Mateo" I thanked her jumping in a spot, she smiled back. I served the customer before packing my bag as fast as I could, I still have to get home, prepare dinner, bath before leaving for school again.

".... Zemela" she called me as I was about to leave.
"... here, get yourself a beer after winning, I know you'll win" she placed ten dollar on my palm..my eyes got all watery, my dad would never say that to me, infact he'll try to stop me from going.

I was speechless, when I started working here, I was the only worker she had, I even worked overtime without getting paid, we've built a strong relationship over the past two years it's more than an employee-employer relationship.

The first month of my work, I came to work crying one Saturday, my dad scolded me for getting a C in my test, he brought back memories I had already buried, he told me I was useless just like my mother and that was the lowest I ever got and it was the first time. I explained everything to Mrs Mateo and from that day onward, she became my mother and I her daughter.

"It's getting late go now" she released me from our hug.
"Thank you so much" I smiled, she nodded smiling.
I waved goodbye to the two guys behind her before walking out.