Chapter Thirty-Nine~ Much Needed Talks

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 💎 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

It was Monday morning- because of the midterms they had just finished, they had a long weekend.

Kareena was jogging the track around the pond that was behind her old middle school. She was finishing her first lap when something had caught her eye.

On the nearby swing set, that overlooked the pond, was a familiar face. Biting her lip, a debate played out in Kareena's mind before she went and sat down in the swing set next to the lonesome body.

"I forgot to tell you, thank you- for the other night, I mean."

The quiet yet friendly voice snapped Serafina out of her thoughts, her head lifted from where it leaned against the cold thick chain that held up the swing. Turning around, she didn't even have to look to know who the voice came from.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, putting her head back in the position it was before, looking out towards the pond.

"I was out for a jog and saw you here... alone. Thought I would come by and thank you and also... apologize..." Kareena's voice trailed off as she looked out towards the pond, mimicking Serafina's actions.

Serafina snorted, her body moved back from the subconscious empty laugh that left her body. "What do you have to apologize for that night? I was the one who was awful to you. I was the one who was cheating on my boyfriend." She seemed to be reminding herself rather than the girl next to her. Serafina knew she was a mean person, but for the first time, she actually felt guilty-something she didn't feel in a long time.

After a beat of silence, Kareena opened her eyes and spoke. "I wasn't talking about the gala." Serafina curiously turned her head to look at Kareena. "Serafina, I'm sorry... for everything, including last night. I'm sorry for just giving up back then and not fighting for you more. I'm sorry my experiment blew up in your face and ruined your favourite dress." Kareena apologized, Serafina only rolled her eyes, trying to hide the hint of amusement and joy she felt hearing her apologies. Suddenly Kareena's voice went lower, Serafina could sense the shame she was feeling. "Most importantly, I'm sorry for choosing a boy over our friendship. I should have fought for you, when you got mad that day, not run into the arms of the boy you were so madly in love with. I knew what was going on in your life and I decided to leave instead of stay. I'm sorry that I was so stupid back then." Serafina's eyes widened at the mention of Tommy and Kareena apologizing for it.

Serafina gulped, unsure of what to say without bursting out into tears. Doing what she always did, she swallowed her feelings and became cold. With a scoff, she answered, "I never did know how to get a handle on my emotions. I was never that mad in the beginning, but then you got closer to Tommy and then Nastasia. It was like I didn't even exist. Was I that replaceable to you?" She asked, refusing to meet Kareena's gaze.

Kareena's eyes widened as her dark lips dropped open in shock. "Of course you weren't! Serafina, I thought about you every time we saw each other. I wanted to talk to you and apologize, but you were so mean to me, and not that mean where I knew we were joking because we were friends but actually mean. I thought you hated me and never wanted to see me again."

"Because you acted like I was replaceable!" She yelled out, letting her emotions get the best of her.

"You're not replaceable, Serafina, don't you get it!" She yelled back louder. "You were my best friend, I shared everything with you-my secrets, my room, my lunch-I could never do that with anyone else nor do I want to. What I want is my best friend back!" Kareena blurted out in a rage.

Serafina wanted to smile, but her face remained stoic, instead, she scoffed, "Took you long enough."

Kareena smiled brightly and jumped off her swing and threw herself into the arms of Serafina Warner. After years of knowing her, she knew Serafina's harsh words were only a mask for the joy and brightness she felt.