Chapter Two~ Don't lose Spirit

・゚: *・゚:* 💎 *:・゚*:・゚

After being dropped at home, Kareena went to her room, which was a storage closet she had fixed to fit her. Dropping down on the single mattress with a pillow she stared at the glow-in-the-dark stick-on stars she and her sister had put up years ago when they had moved in.

Put this one up, Samara. The girl reminisced. Her sister lifted her on her shoulders, Kareena slapped it onto the ceiling. Leaving it there for years to come.

Smiling into her pillow, she fell asleep quickly and soundly.

Hours passed and Kareena was pushed back into reality when her alarm went off next to her head.

Stretching out her body, she pushed her hands behind her back to crack it. Yawning and running a hand through her long wavy silver-dyed hair with shadow-black roots, she began combing it out her hair until it was just simple waves. Looking in the bathroom mirror, she drew a wing over top of her eyelid with her favourite brand of eyeliner, cheap.

I look pretty, she smiled, batting her eyes in the mirror. It didn't take much to make Kareena happy with herself. Short and curvy, dark complexion, she always felt pretty even on her off days. One of her better traits was that she never felt the need to be jealous or compare herself to others.

Looking through her hangers and baskets, she finally pulled out a red and black plaid loose-fitting sweater, pairing it with denim sky blue jeans.

Grabbing her black fake leather bag with gold zippers, she headed off to school.

Exiting the room-books and papers that didn't fit in her bag in her hands-she began walking down the stairs of the two-floor apartment.

Reaching the bottom, she ran into their landlord, Gerald Garrison, blocking the rest of her way.

A chill went down Kareena's spine as she took in a shaky breath, lifting her head to meet his eyes. Swallowing hard, she took a step to get by him when he spoke up, stopping her

"My, my, my... what a beautiful girl you're growing up to be. You know, you're one of the most beautiful exotic women they let into this country." He licked his lips as he gazed up and down.

Kareena squirmed in disgust and discomfort. Did he just say what I think he said? She wondered.

Hoping it would be over soon, she continued to let him ogle her. "Tell me, is your sister still at work?" He reached out with his crusted fingertips and yellow nails to caress her face.

Now breathing fast, she shivered and turned her cheek the other way to avoid his cold fingers. "Please don't touch me." Her voice came out barely audible.

"What was that?" His tone was much sharper than before

Refusing to let tears fall she bared with it, avoiding his lingering eyes as she muttered. "T-Th-Thank you"

"Good, remember who to be thankful to." He smiled a sinister smile before stepping out of her way.

Seeing her exit, she took it as fast as possible without trying to look like she was in a rush.

After catching the bus and making her way to the high school, Queens Valley Secondary School. Kareena was standing at her locker, books in one hand and her other on the locker dial. She stared straight into it. The way she stared into it, one might think she was trying to burn a hole into it.

Remember who to be thankful to. The words echoed in her mind, over and over again.

Indulged in her thoughts, she didn't realize her two best friends were already on either side of her.