What He Saw

A/N: SO MANY READS AFKJDFSRIGNASORJNG HOLY CRAP

HOW?! WHERE DID YOU ALL COME FROM?! IS SOMEONE SUMMONING DEMONS TO READ MY FFs? (if you are, dude that's lit teach me how) IS SOMEONE CONJURING UP AN ARMY OF FANGIRLS AND FANBOYS AND FAN-NON-BINARY-PERSONS AND FAN-WHATEVER-YOU-WANNA-BEs AND MAKING THEM READ THE TRASH OF A TERRIBLY-OBSESSED FANGIRL CALLED ME??? OMG HOW DID I GET MORE THAN THREE READS?!

all of you are incredible how did i get #1 ranking in batfam wtf dudes this is mindblowing

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ hug me because i love you guys. hug me. now.

okey dokey back to the story  :)

*************************************************************

The air around him was fake.

So were the trees, the lake, the campfire, the ground beneath his feet.

The faint cacophony of birdsong in the distance was sung by thousands of blue jays, warblers and skylarks, but Lionel knew they weren't real either.

So what was?

He glared up at the sky, a swirling mix of cirrus clouds and a pale blue, as enchanting as the backdrop of a fantasy world, before he looked back down again and nearly jumped out of his own skin.

A little girl stood right in front of him, one that popped up out of nowhere.

"Who are you?" Lionel gulped back his shock, pulling himself together.  He was the heir to the Sorcerer Supreme- little girls shouldn't scare him at all. Remembering his protocol, he took one step back, realizing he was very well stuck in a vision.

He stared back down at the small child, her small hood shadowing her face.

The question remained unanswered until her soft, lilting voice cut through the deep silence.

"Not who. When."

The girl reached up with her slender, cracked fingers, slowly lifting off her hood to reveal a face of a cracked porcelain doll. 

Her cheeks were smooth, her lips were a rosy pink, but the deep black cracks that spiderwebbed across her entire face were gruesome enough to make Lionel want to lose his lunch . The dark ringlets of hair the girl once had were wisps of smoke, and her eyes- they were simply an empty black void, one that flashed with images of death and destruction, of flames flickering and cities falling.

She stepped forward and two broken wings erupted from the middle of her back, feathers as dark as the void of space, the shape of her wings grotesquely twisted. Silver and crimson dripped from the edges, a mix of her blood and that of humans.

Lionel sharply inhaled, the birdsong replaced with blood curdling screams that echoed throughout the forest, and he took one step back.

"You." He whispered.

The little girl smiled, the campfire flaring up in a blur of orange and reds and yellow-gold sparks. Lionel stared at the raging flames, seeing the flickering images within the fire burn themselves into his mind.

Piles of rubble, running people, fireballs erupting through warehouses.

An army of stolen souls led by a fallen man turned bitter, his shadow standing atop a mountain of concrete. 

Contraptions strapped to pillars in the basements of buildings. Two battles.

A bouquet of carnations and lilies, clasped by a pair of small, pale hands.

Teardrops capturing the faint sunlight as ash fell all around like snow.

Crimson pooling up around a pair of boots and slowly trickling down a set of stairs.