Chapter 34: Elle

July 24

Loon Call Island, Lake Rosseau, Muskoka

"Come on, Elle. Trust me, I won't let you fall."

Hudson's voice is soft, measured, reassuring. He always talks like this when he's trying to convince me to do something crazy.

"I don't think I can do it, I'm going to hurt you." I'm standing, arms crossed on the edge of the water trampoline. Hudson is on his knees in front of me, hands gripping my hips, begging, with a huge grin on his face.

"When have I ever let you fall? Don't worry about me. Come on, you've got this. Just get a little momentum, then do the hand spring like I showed you. I'll catch you and lift you up. All you have to do is sit on my shoulders. You've done that part a thousand times."

He continues as I stand there, arms crossed over my chest, debating, "I really need to practice for the ski show, Elle. You're doing me a huge favour. Consider it payment, in full for the waterskiing lessons. I have taught you single handedly how to ski, after all."

I roll my eyes, feeling my resolve crumble. "Yes, Hudson. Adrian and Theo must both be figments of our shared imagination helping us out. Fine, fine, just don't push me. I'll try when I'm ready."

I tighten the strings of my rather flimsy bikini and pull my hair into a tighter knot. I hope everything stays put this time. I'm not sure if I can handle another embarrassing wardrobe malfunction. I know Hudson certainly can't.

Nothing quite like flashing your best friend, when your chest is directly in front of his face and you're upside down. He'd nearly dropped me then, barely recovering after a slight, surprised fumble as his hands had grabbed my ribs as I'd flailed down into his arms.

"Okay, here goes nothing. But we're starting from the top, basic stuff first, then we'll see about the other move."

"Deal! From the top then, Ellie." I don't miss the note of smug triumph in his voice.

Hudson moves behind me, counting quietly. I bounce lightly to his rhythm, letting him set the pace. I hold my breath for a moment as his hands close around my hips. I jump at the same time that he tosses me up high, into the air, twisting me as he releases his grip.

I keep my body flexed, like he taught me, spinning in the air, then pulling my legs in tight to fall neatly into Hudson's arms.

A rush of excitement bursts through me leaving me breathless and just a little dizzy.

"Let's build on that, Elle. Instead of tossing you horizontally, I'm going to toss you higher vertically, grab your ankles, even the bottom of your feet if I can manage."

We repeat the lift, only this time he catches my feet in his hands, lifting me above his head. I raise my arms in a wide 'V' and smiling when he tells me to, wobbling only a little. He pushes my feet up and I tumble down into his arms, squealing as I hit him at a funny angle, sending us both down in a tangled mass of arms and legs, laughing.

His eyes dart down my body, checking to make sure everything is in place with a blush. I immediately do the same, relieved when I'm still decent.

"That was my fault, Elle, sorry. I'll warn you next time, for the dismount."

After repeating those basic tricks with a few variations, the majority of them ending successfully, Hudson looks up at me as I sit on his shoulders.

"What do you think, give it a try?" He squats low, letting me bounce over his head and back onto the trampoline.

I know he's referring to the last trick that we've been working up to, which is a multi-step trick. I haven't exactly nailed it, in fact I chicken out each time we get to this point.