Chapter 16: Greyson

June 25

Loon Call Island, Lake Rosseau, Muskoka

"I'll catch you later, Elle. Don't wait up for me tonight, I'll swing by tomorrow around nine so we can head to Ry's together in the morning."

I don't miss the disappointment that flashes across her face. I feel like an ass, but I'm still raw over the picture of her and Hud. I'm mostly pissed at myself, well, and Chiara. Elle wouldn't be a target of the original mean girl if it weren't for me.

"Oh, okay. I'll see you tomorrow, then."

I grab her wrist as she steps past me in the boat, pulling her into my arms for a quick hard kiss. I boost her out of the boat and pull away before her eyes convince me to stay.

I speed up quickly, angling towards home before turning back when I know she's out of sight so I can zip back across to Hud's place.

Pulling up to his dock, I tie off and wander up the hill from the boathouse. The two larger boats are gone, so I know he's home alone.

I turn the corner around the large blue boathouse, climbing the stairs up to the deck, taking two at a time. My bare feet slap quietly against the wood. I look around, past the hot tub and patio furniture. I guess he's out back by his bunkie.

Sure enough, he's flopped on the hammock, between the two large pine trees outside his cabin. His baseball cap is tipped over his eyes, and he's wearing only a pair of shorts.

I nudge his hip with my foot, sending the hammock swinging wildly.

He bolts upright, sending the hammock careening precariously. "What the—" His shocked expression fades when he sees me.

I snicker at the gaping look of surprise on his face.

"Seriously, Grey? What's your deal?"

"Need to talk. Got a beer?"

"Yeah, sure. Scare the living shit out of me, then ask for my beer. Makes sense." His tone is annoyed, rough from sleep.

But he rolls off the swing, stalking to his cabin and the mini fridge I know he keeps stocked. I don't follow him.

When he walks back out, he tosses me a can and I snag it out of the air before dropping into the large Adirondack chair overlooking the water.

I flip my phone open, pull up the message from Chiara and toss the device at him.

He snags it, with only a brief fumble as he pulls a t-shirt over his head before sitting in the chair next to me and glancing down at the phone.

"Shit, Grey. I can explain this." He takes a deep pull of the beer before shifting in his seat to face me.

"Don't worry, Elle already did. I want to know why this even happened in the first place?" I look towards the water, sipping the cool, fresh beer. Waiting.

"It's just a game, Grey. Come on, lighten up." I grind my teeth as he sips his beer again.

Lighten up? Doesn't he know what can happen if you aren't vigilant? "What were you thinking Hud? Letting her get pulled into that circle? Elle said she couldn't say no, she was too stressed to back down in front of the girls. But why didn't you?" My frustration and anger sharpen my voice.

"Cut her a break, man. She'll figure it out, I've got her back. I know I should have taken her out of there when she asked to leave." Hud shrugs, driving me to the edge of my control.

I push up from my chair and turn to face him. "What the fuck do you mean when she asked to leave? She asked to leave when the game started and you ignored it?"