Chapter 32: Elle

July 20, 2005

Minett, Muskoka

Sweat drips down my back as I restock the shelves in the mechanic's bay. Wiping my forearm over my equally sweaty forehead, I push to finish as quickly as possible. There is absolutely no air back here, even with the small wire fan blowing at full speed.

If it stays this hot, I don't even want to think how gross I'll be after my ride and lesson tomorrow on Kuna, or how sweaty Hudson will be after polo. I make a mental note to pack bathing suits for us, so we can take Kuna and Leo swimming in the gravel pits tomorrow.

As I unpack motor oil, I let my mind wander. I find myself wishing summer would never end. I work, play, ride, compete, hang with the boys, see Greyson, visit Sam and Liam, talk with Vi. It's one of the toughest summers I've ever experienced, but I cherish every moment of it, knowing it could change at the drop of a hat.

The sound of footsteps pulls my focus away from my thoughts and, assuming it's Hunter, I speak before turning around. "Is the big boss coming to give his favorite employee a hand?"

"I'll give you both hands to do whatever you want with, Ellie-bean."

I jerk upright and turn, repulsed immediately by his crude comment, and the use of Hunter's nickname for me in the same sentence.

"That's disgusting, Dan. Come on." Even I understand the explicit suggestion in his words, and it turns my stomach.

He only laughs and moves closer, so I step to the other side of the boxes, making room for him near the shelf if he's actually come to help.

I relax when he starts unloading the oil bottles, and get back to work, but I'm conscious of his gaze constantly moving over me. Of his intimidating, unfamiliar presence. Man, he really gives me the creeps, and I wish it were Hunter or Greyson helping me instead.

But Greyson took an extra day off this week to celebrate his grandfather's birthday. He was disappointed when I didn't join him, but I've already asked Hunter for too many exceptions to the schedule we'd agreed on.

This morning, I'd been on my own with Hunter, and he'd relaxed a bit, turning the music up as I'd cleaned the windows, vacuumed, and he'd done the paperwork and accounting, cursing under his breath the entire time.

The afternoon had been less pleasant. Dan had breezed in around noon, taking every opportunity to pop up wherever I was working. When he'd been called out to tow a boat in, I'd rushed to get the restocking done in here before he came back.

No such luck.

"Where's your golden boy today?"

"He went to his grandpa's birthday."

"And he didn't invite you? What kind of boyfriend does that make him?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but I didn't want to ask Hunter for any more days off. I'm already only working part-time, and he's been so flexible already."

"Not like you and your richy-rich friends need the money, eh?"

I roll my eyes, but don't say anything. It's not about the money, it's about the principal, owning up to your responsibilities, being reliable. Not knowing how to respond, I just shrug and continue unpacking the stock in silence.

Each time he shifts closer, I step farther away, spreading the oil further along the shelves that it's ever reached before. I know I'm going to have to come back and fix it later. "Stop, Dan, you're making me a bit uncomfortable."

"Why's that, Elle? I'm not doing anything, plus, you don't seem to be bothered by Grey, or the boss for that matter. You let them put their hands on you. Why am I so different?"