Chapter 23: Greyson

July 9

Loon Call Island, Lake Rosseau, Muskoka

"Hello?" A deep-ish male voice answers the phone, and I recognize it as Hud's immediately. Did I call him by mistake?

I look down and see that no, I've dialed Elle's number. "Hud?"

"Hey, G-man. What's up?" I hear him take a big crunching bite of something.

"Uhh... not much. I'm looking for Elle. She around?"

"She's in the hot tub, not sure I'll get her out. Just come by and hang with us. Yeah?"

"Sure." Even as I agree to head over, hanging up on Hud, apprehension worms its way into my gut. I've only spoken to Elle on the phone since our argument, and she'd made it clear she didn't want to talk about it at work. I've been edgy, restless, waiting for her to speak to me. Even Ry can barely stand to be around me anymore.

Jumping in my boat, I steer it around the point and pull up a couple minutes later. I hear Hud's laughter and a long, blissful, very exaggerated sigh of pleasure from Elle. The sound sets me on edge, but as I walk around the grove of trees, I relax. Elle is floating on her back in the hot tub, and Hud is tossing grapes at her, the odd one missing her mouth to splash in the hot water. Elle fishes them out, throwing them into the woods.

The golden light of the sunset casts a glowing light across the scene, fading sunlight dappling through the trees.

"Slow down, Hudson, I can't chew that fast." Her giggle bursts out when he rapidly fires five grapes at her, so she has to dodge the little missiles after she catches the first one in her mouth. Squealing, she jerks upright, standing in the water.

I stop in my tracks when I see three large purpling bruises on her pale skin. I walk towards them quickly, looking her up and down.

"What the fuck happened to you, Elle? Hud, did you have an accident skiing or on the tramp doing tricks?"

Elle starts at the sound of my voice, turning to me, then looking down at herself. "Greyson, hi," her smile is so surprised, happy, but also a bit uncertain when she spots me. She continues quickly, "No, no, nothing like that. I took a fall at the horse show, it's no big deal. Hudson will tell you, even the medics said so."

I frown at her, looks like a big deal to me. As I reach the hot tub's side, I circle my finger in the air, signaling her to turn around. Rolling her eyes at me, she does a slow spin, and I take in the damage. A large angry bruise spreads across the span of her left ribs, a smaller, darker bruise sits on her hip bone, and a third large bruise covers the back one shoulder, but it's a lighter shade of blue-green than the others.

"Ouch." I tug her to me, not caring that Hud's there, and I drop a kiss to each bruise lightly. She gasps when my lips touch the soft skin of her hip bone, but I'm already stepping back.

Hud clears his throat, and I turn my attention to him. "Paramedics gave her the all-clear, really. Common sense stuff, no crazy activities, ice, bruise cream. Give it a week or two, no concerns."

I hate the sight of the bruises on her skin, but I nod and strip my shirt off, so I'm only wearing my board shorts. "Mind if I join you guys?"

Hud sets the large bowl of grapes on the table beside the tub and leaps over the edge in one swing, "Course not, jump in!" Not waiting for Elle's answer, I climb in.

"Shit, that's hot." It's like twenty-eight degrees outside, and the hot water feels nice, but I know I'll only be able to sit here for a short while.

Elle floats on her back between Hudson and me, and he spins her by her ankle, sending her in small circles, rocking a little in the bubbly water.

"You should have seen her, Grey. It was her first time doing the higher class, every horse hesitating at that water jump, no one knowing why. She barely made it over in round one but pulls it together and finishes, qualifying for the jump off."