Chapter 39

The October night air is cool against my skin as we walk back to Courtney's car to grab our bags. I try to pull my coat a little tighter around me as we walk along with the mass of people exiting the arena. The crowd is just as large now as when we arrived, since everyone wants to leave all at once. Kristin and I retrieve our bags from the car and say goodbye to Courtney before turning and walking back towards the arena. We take our time strolling back toward the Agganis as it will take Dex and Luke a little while to shower and change after the game.

"That was a great game. Did you have fun?" Kristin asks.

I nod because I did have fun. I loved watching Dex and the other guys out there playing their hearts out. I only wish I could have experienced it without Avery's announcement and Rachel's evil glares. "It was amazing to watch them." I say quietly.

"Stop thinking about it. You know he doesn't want her, so don't let it take root," she says. Obviously, I'm unable to hide the emotions I'm experiencing.

I give her a small smile, "I'll try. I just need to see him and then I'll feel better."

As we get closer to the player's parking area, I can already see a few guys coming out and climbing into their cars. Then I hear Dex's deep voice, but he sounds upset. Who is he talking to? I look to Kristin and see her eyes go wide, then I turn back and see it too. Rachel is here. Why is she here? I want to run to him but I'm frozen in the spot where I'm standing. I feel numb as Kristin reaches over and takes hold of my hand.

"You do realize that I have an actual girlfriend and she is going to be here any minute," his words tear angrily through the cold air.

"Come on. Aren't you done with that yet? I know you're just trying to prove some point and get back at me. How many times do I have to apologize?" her voice cuts into me.

From our distance I can only see the side of Dex's face, but his jaw is clearly clenched in anger. "This has nothing to do with getting back at you. I've moved on and you need to move on too. You need to leave," his voice is severe and commanding.

"You can't be serious. You actually expect me to believe that you're choosing this whore from California over me?" she says. I feel Kristin squeeze my hand as Rachel's words burn me.

Dex's voice is strained, "Don't fucking talk about her like that. You need to get the fuck out of here or I'm going to report you for harassment. I have plenty of witnesses." As he waves his arms indicating the small group of his teammates who have gathered to watch the show. His eyes catch me and Kristin where we stand and he freezes. "Mia."

Rachel's laughter hits the air hard, "Fucking perfect timing. Fine, I'm done. Show's over!" She turns on her heels and walks towards her two friends who are standing a few feet away waiting for her.

Dex takes long strides toward me and Kristin finally lets go of my hand. His large arms wrap around me, instantly warming my cold body.

"Are you okay, baby?" he whispers into my ear. I'm finally broken from my daze and look up to meet his warm brown eyes.

"Just take me home," I beg. He nods softly and guides me to the Ranger Rover.

Our ride is quiet as we stop to drop Kristin and Luke off at his house. Luke lands a forgiving punch to Dex's upper arm, "Nice game tonight bro," he says as he climbs out. I feel Kristin's hand on my shoulder as she lightly squeezes. "I'll text you tomorrow to check in," she whispers before hopping out and closing the door.

We continue driving to Dex's house in silence. When we walk inside, we find Logan and Pat already home sitting on the couch, eating pizza and watching TV. "Pizza's in the kitchen, grab a slice in you're hungry," Logan says.