Chapter 10

I climb from the pool and grab one of the fluffy towels from the cabinet, wrapping it around myself. I find a seat on one of the lounge chairs beside Kristin and Courtney. I lay back in the chair and close my eyes behind my sunglasses. The sun is drying the droplets still lingering on my skin, warming me all over.

"So, what was going on between you and Dex in the pool?" I can hear the smirk in Kristin's voice even without my eyes being open.

"We were just playing around. I'm sure he's just trying to make me feel comfortable and welcome, since I'm the newbie," I try to say as casually as possible.

"Uh...no. That was not what was happening at all. I've seen Dex with girls before, and he was acting so different with you. He couldn't keep his eyes off you and he was looking at you so intensely, like you were his next meal or something. Even Luke was wondering what was up with his brother," she says.

Courtney chimes in, "Yeah, he was totally flirting with you and checking you out."

Is he really acting differently with me than he does with other girls? We've only just met, but just being near him is like nothing I've ever felt before. I try to brush them off, but all I can manage to say is, "I really don't think so." Meanwhile, my mind has started replaying her words over and over. Did they all really think he was flirting with me? It had felt a little like flirting, and if even Luke was questioning it, then maybe he really was...

As my mind is wandering back to relive the moments in the pool, Kristin starts talking again. "I do have to give you fair warning," her tone seems a little more serious. "Dex just got out of his own screwed up relationship. I still don't really know all the details but his ex, Rachel, cheated and it ended pretty badly. Luke told me she's been begging Dex to take her back. We were kind of forced to spend some time together while they were dating, and she was never my favorite person. She always had this bitchy attitude like she was better than everyone else. Just know that if anything does happen between you and Dex she might come at you with claws out."

I only open my eyes as a shadow darkens my eyelids and see a girl standing near Kristin's chair, blocking the sun. She seems tall, but she is standing over me, so it's difficult to tell. She's thin and wearing a red string bikini, her short brown bob falling just below her chin.

"Hi Kristin. Hi Courtney. How are you? I haven't seen you in months" the girl says cheerily.

Kristin smiles at her, "Summer has been amazing, but it's going to be over too fast as usual." She raises her hand in my direction, "This is my cousin, Mia. She just moved from California to transfer her to BU." Kristin looks towards me, "This is Avery. She's with Chris, another guy on the team."

Avery points across the yard, "Chris is the guy with the white t-shirt and blue baseball cap." I nod in acknowledgement, but I'm distracted as I see Dex climbing from the pool, his wet torso glistening in the sun.

I force myself to turn my head, "Nice to meet you Avery."

She smiles and proceeds to sit at the foot of Kristin's lounge chair. "I've had an amazing summer," she gushes. "My parents took me to Italy for a few weeks. They rented a villa and it was so beautiful." It sounds amazing as she describes it, and it reminds me of something my dad would do. He loves to plan family trips. He once took us to Hawaii for New Year's. I look back at her and smile, but for the first time since leaving California, I feel a little tug on my heart as I miss home and my parents.

"So, I guess I missed a big blow out with Dex and Rachel, huh?" she prods. Kristin offers a slight grin knowing we were just talking about this very situation.

"Yeah, I guess it was pretty messy." Kristin says in response.

I glance across the yard and see Dex, Luke, Tyler and Logan making their way back from the garage. They all have new drinks in their hands as they make their way towards the grassy area where the cornhole game is set up. I let my eyes close again only to open them almost immediately as I hear an obnoxiously high-pitched sound, what I assume is supposed to be laughter coming from behind me. I turn my head slightly and see three girls approaching the cornhole game. They seem to be focused on Dex, all smiles and hair flips as they walk across the grass giggling. Kristin catches me looking, "Remember how I told you the hockey team tends to attract a lot of female followers, that's just a small taste of what to expect."

"Fucking puck sluts," Courtney remarks in an obviously disgusted tone.

I notice Dex smiling and laughing as the three girls approach him. I don't really know him, but he seems to be enjoying their presence. "Well, Dex seems to be enjoying their company," I spit out.

"No, he's not like that," Kristin is quick to defend him. "They know that he and Rachel just broke up and since he's the Captain, he's a bigger prize to girls like that." I keep watching, unable to pull my eyes away until I see the girls turn and leave a few minutes later, disappointment clear on their faces. As I begin to look away, Dex seems to be looking in my direction, but I can't see his eyes through his sunglasses. He lifts them slightly winking at me and a large grin takes over his face. Turning back towards the game, he tosses another bean bag and brings them back down to cover his eyes. I feel my cheeks flush with embarrassment, knowing that I've been caught watching him.