Chapter 20

Dex drives me back to the apartment so that I can shower and change. I kiss him goodbye before leaving the car and walking inside. He'll be back in a few hours to pick me up again. When I walk through the door I'm met with Kristin's wide eyes. I'm surprised to see her already home and sitting on the couch.

"Hey, I'm surprised you're home already. I thought you'd still be at Luke's," I say.

"I bet you're surprised...seems like you're doing a little walk of shame this morning," she laughs.

I shrug, "I wouldn't really call it shame."

"So, is it like official? Are you and Dex an item now?" she asks. I guess the shower I had planned will have to wait a little longer. I plop down onto the couch beside her and share a little bit of my night and morning with Dex. I keep the more personal details to myself; I want those moments to be just for me.

"You missed a huge blow out between Logan and Cami. It pretty much ended the whole party," Kristin says.

"I saw some of the aftermath this morning when Logan woke up obviously hung over and only remembering bits and pieces of what happened," I add.

"You should have seen it unravel. He just kept drinking and Cami wanted to leave, but he decided to start dancing. He ended up grinding on some random girl, who of course was completely into it. Cami got so pissed. She told him to go fuck himself and then she stormed out. That was pretty much a party killer," Kristin finishes.

I look at her with concern, "Do you think they'll stay together?"

She shrugs, "It's really tough to say. They really haven't been together too long and they both have crazy schedules. I think they have a really hard time getting on the same page. Cami is super sweet, but maybe not the best match for Logan. This might be the end for them."

After finally taking my shower I put together a small overnight bag to take to Dex's later. I also grab my backpack and throw in the books and supplies that I'll need for my classes tomorrow. Once my stuff is ready to go, I have nothing to do but wait, and the time is dragging. I grab my phone and walk into the living room. As I scroll through Instagram, my eye catches on a post of my sister's. Sitting down on the couch I pull up Kat's name and hit the call button. It rings a couple times before she answers, sounding out of breath.

"You okay?" I ask curiously.

"Yeah, just finishing up a quick morning run," she says through a few more heavy breaths. I'm slightly jealous and a little saddened. I miss my morning runs in California. Kat and I used to run together a lot.

"So, how's everyone and everything at home?" I ask.

Kat's breathing finally evens out. "Things are good. I think Mom and Dad might be feeling the empty nest a little bit. They keep talking about getting a dog, can you believe that? It was actually kind of Aunt Cassie's idea. I blame her for planting it in Mom's head. You know how older sisters can influence their younger and impressionable siblings," she laughs. "I've been trying to talk them out of it. I honestly think they forgot how much work a new puppy is, plus you know how they like to travel. It just wouldn't be a good idea."

I think back to when Kat first moved out a couple years ago and got her own apartment. She was determined to get a puppy. She ended up with this completely adorable Boston terrier, which seems all too coincidental now. She named her Lily and she was beyond cute, but also a little pain in the ass. Kat just couldn't handle it. It was almost like taking care of a new baby, and that was too much for my sister. Luckily, she was able to find her a nice new home. Kat definitely knows what she's talking about when trying to warn my parents against the idea of getting a new dog.

"So, tell me about this guy," Kat says and I can almost see her smile through the phone.

"Kat, he's...I don't know what to say other than amazing. He's just so different from other guys I've dated. He plays hockey and he comes off as a little rough around the edges, but he is so sweet when we're together." I know I probably sound completely ridiculous, but I can't help it. My insides are melting just talking about him.

"You mean he's not a preppy asshole," she laughs.

"Since we're on the topic of guys, have you met anyone new?" I ask. Kat loves being single, that way she can have her pick when she's out at the clubs. She's a little more of a free spirit than I am.

"Oh, I've met a few," she laughs again and begin to realize just how much I miss my sister.

I'm not sure if I want to hear the answer, but I know I have to ask, "Have you guys thought about coming to Boston for my birthday?"

Silence. I know she's stalling because she doesn't want to hurt my feelings. "Ummm...Mia, I really did talk to Mom and Dad about it but I don't know if they can make it work right now. You know how busy their schedules get between work and social functions. Just another reason for them not to get a new dog. You should really just talk to Mom and Dad about it," she finally says. I take a deep breath to keep myself from crying. I'm disappointed but I know it isn't my sister's fault.

"It's okay, Kat. I know they're both busy. I'll give Mom a call later or tomorrow. I just love and miss all of you," I say as silent tears begin to fall. We say our goodbyes and I hang up before breaking into full blown sobs.

Kristin appears in the room and sits beside me on the couch. She hugs me until my body finally stops shaking. I explain that they probably won't be coming for my birthday and that it just hit me harder than I thought it would. She offers to make me a cup of coffee or tea to help soothe me. I opt for coffee and Kristin walks into the kitchen. She really is the next best thing to having Kat here, and I'm so thankful for her friendship right now. She comes back and hands me a steaming mug which I clasp between my two hands. "Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe this new relationship with Dex is just stirring up your emotions," she says lightly laying a hand on my shoulder. "Are you sure you don't want to stay home tonight?" she asks.

I shake my head. As much as I would love to curl up and disappear in my current state of sadness, I know seeing him will make some of this feeling go away. I want to spend more time with Dex. I want to curl up in his arms and take comfort there.

I drink half of my coffee but it already seems to be getting cold. I stand and pour the rest down the drain in the kitchen before placing my mug in the dishwasher. Kristin is in the shower, so I go back to my bedroom. I lay down on the bed to relax and I grab my phone, seeing an Instagram notification. Kat has posted a couple pictures of her post-run, sweaty self. She still looks beautiful. I click the little heart and then close the app. I open my messages and type a quick note to both of my parents *First day tomorrow! Excited but really miss you guys. Love you! Xo

After hitting send I reach my arm out and setthe phone on the side table. I close myeyes, trying to relieve some of the ache building behind my eyes as a result ofmy crying. I suddenly feelexhausted. My buzzing phone wakes me andthe room is slightly darker. I rub myeyes lightly then reach back over and pick up my phone again. I can't believe I've been out for almost anhour. I see a new text from Dex, *Hopeyou're ready. I'm on my way.