Chapter 41

ANIKA

I always dreamed of having a sister. Someone whom I can share my clothes with and vice versa. Someone whom I can talk about boys (well in my case, girls, or should I say one girl in particular. But let's not talk about her), clothes, trends, or anything under the sun. Of course, the most important of all, someone whom I could go shopping with. I can always do that with friends, yes, but it's still different if you'll do those things with your sister.

But I never thought that I'm gonna learn about having a sister this way. I mean, I always thought that I'm just an only child and that we're an example of a perfect family, and then there's Klarisse. Whom I thought was just Charlie's best friend, and now, my parents are telling me that she's my sister. So tell me, how can I digest this awesome news?

"You're kidding right?" I still want to believe that everything I heard isn't true. That it's just one of my parents pranks. But looking at their reactions, I know that we're dealing with a serious matter right now. That I have to accept that 'that girl' is my sister.

"Let's say that what you're saying is true, how did it happen? Looking at that girl, I could tell that she's just my age. So, did you have her before or after you married Mom?" I asked calmly. I didn't want to sound rude, but I wanted to. For them to feel how frustrated and disappointed I am right now.

"Before." he answered.

I closed my eyes before asking another question. I need to calm myself down. How could he do this to us? To our family?

"I see. So, before marrying Mom, you had an intimate moment with some girl, then poof, an illegitimate daughter, am I right?" I asked in a low voice.

They both went quiet after I said that and didn't answer my question. They just looked at each other and I couldn't read what my Mom's look is trying to say, so I asked him again.

"Was I correct? You want me to know the truth, right? So tell me, did you fuck that Clara whom I supposed is the mother of that fucking illegitimate child before marrying Mom? Didn't you think of what your future wife will feel if ever you get that woman impregnated? Or you didn't think about it because you're excited to fuck that whore!" there, I lost my cool.

I was shocked when I felt a palm hit my right cheek. I knew I was slapped because it fucking stung!

I opened my eyes and I saw how furious my mother was while looking at me.

"M-mom?" I asked teary-eyed. I thought Dad was the one who slapped me.

"You don't have the right to talk about Clara and Klarisse like that!" she said while clenching her jaw.

"I was just saying the truth. And why are you defending that woman and that illegitimate child?! They're ruining our perfect family, Mom! It's their fault why we're having a conversation like this!" I said while looking furiously at my father who's been silent and just looking at us.

"Don't be so sure, Anika. You don't know what you're talking about!" she said and chuckled sarcastically.

"Nikka!" Dad tried to reprimand Mom but she shook her head before looking at me again.

"No Luis. She has to know the truth. She has to know who Clara and Klarisse are for her to stop bad-mouthing them. Are you ready to know the whole truth, you foul-mouthed lady?" she asked while looking at me blankly.

I didn't answer and kept staring at her. I couldn't understand why she's acting like this. We should be on the same side, right?

"Not this way, Nikka."

"No. She asked for it. And yes, Anika, Klarisse is your father's daughter, but she isn't illegitimate." she said and I gave her a curious look. How is it possible? Dad specifically said that he had her before Mom. As far as I know, you're an illegitimate child if your parents aren't married, and duh, obviously, Dad's married to my Mom. Or—my eyes widen when I realized something.