26

Sweat dripped down my face as I ran. I was doing a workout. Today I mainly did core workouts, some arm, and now I was running, but on a treadmill.

I decided to wait till around Thanksgiving to go back to Portland. I wanted to take Ella with me. I wanted her to see my hometown, but I didn't want to take her while she was in classes. I couldn't wait. It's September twenty-seventh, and my parents have a ball tonight with another company. Kenny, Kyler, and I have to go. I want to ask Ella to be my date. I'm sure I could buy her a dress in time if she doesn't have one. I better get going to ask her though so she won't be mad at me for not giving her enough time to get ready.

I checked my phone, eleven thirty in the morning. She should be awake, probably eating.

I took a quick shower and grab my keys off the counter, yelling I'm leaving throughout the house. Kacy was watching Kaleb today, since she has no interest in the company yet.

I knocked on her door and came face to a smug face Alex.

"Why hello there Kodi," she smirked.

I rolled my eyes.

"Hey Alex. How're you?"

"Why I'm just dandy. Come on in. Your girlfriend is at the table."

I chuckled and walked past her, into the kitchen.

Ella's eyes lit up when she seen me. I melted.

"Hey Lee! What're you doing here?"

I gave her a peck as her mom said hi to me.

"Hey Grace," I nodded to her. Ronny must be working. I turned to Ella again. "Well I came here to ask you something. Though, it's kind of short notice, but I can always help you get ready faster. I mean, that is if you can go. Oh and if you want to go, which I mean you don't have to.. but I'm just saying-"

She placed her hand over mind and chucked.

"Breathe Kodi Lee. I've never seen you this nervous since you came over to apologize. What's the problem?"

I smiled slightly as the memory.

"Would you do me the honor and be my date to the companies ball tonight?"

She smiled brightly at me, opening her mouth before the excited look on her face dropped. I became worried.

"Tonight!? Kodi how the hell am I supposed to get ready that fast. I don't even have a dress!"

Oh.

"I can help you! You're about Sarah's size, she has attended these balls before. She could lend you one for the night! Or we could go shopping like right now and it will give you plenty of time. It doesn't start till seven."

"Okay.. I'll go with you."

I beamed.

"Yes! Well chop chop. We are on a schedule here."

She chuckled at me, taking a last bite of her cereal and going upstairs to get ready.

Oh shit. Her mom. I mentally face palmed. It would've been the gentlewoman thing to do if I asked her first. How stupid am I? I turned to her, as she was having a conversation with Alex.

"Hey.. It is okay if I take her out tonight right? I completely forgot that I should have asked you first."

Grace smiled at me. "You don't have to ask me. I trust you, you're much better than her past partners. Just have her home by sometime tomorrow."

"Thank you so much Grace."

"You know, I want to go to a party. Can I come?" I heard Alex say.

"This is a very classy party you know, I don't think they'd let you in," I smiled sarcastically at her before laughing.