Chapter 35: Words that Hurt

Levi's POV

The hours soon passed, and I was able to pick up the little ones as Hanji stayed with Raven. Anything to keep Hanji and the baby at home. When I showed up, Iris was happy and joyful with that smile on her face. Eren, on the other hand, seemed... saddened. Almost... depressed. I tried to ask him about it... but he never said anything. 

Nothing during dinner... just... nothing. 

It wasn't until I was tucking him to sleep is when he started talking to me about it. What was going on in his mind... it was one of the most unexpected thing that I could ever think of. Just hearing Eren ask me that question... why? Why did they have to ask that?

"Daddy... why did my real mommy leave...? Did she not... did she not want to be with us...?"

I was taken aback, and I shook my head. Reveal the truth? Already? Now? No... I shouldn't. Maybe... maybe I should lay it down to him? "Eren..." I say slowly, sitting next to him on the bed. "Your real mother... Petra... well... she was... she was... lovable. You know how much trouble she went through to having you as her little hero?"

"S-She did...? T-Then... why...?"

"First of all... why did you bring this up...? I thought we weren't going to talk about this topic. Something happened at school?"

Eren nodded his head, holding his bear. "W-We were talking about family... and Iris and I were talking about... our real mommy and daddy... and a kid... was asking why my real mommy wasn't here. I-I didn't know what to say..."

"I understand, Eren..." I pulled him closer, kissing his forehead. "Do you really want to know?"

"Y-Yes..."

"To put it lightly, Eren... your mommy... she didn't want to leave you or me behind... but... that's just life. Your mommy loved you very much, Eren, and nothing less. She would've done anything just to be with you. I would want to have her be here... watching her little son grow up. But we can't do anything else."

"S-She loved me...? W-Why did she leave...? Was it my fault?"

"No- it was never your fault." I held him tightly, trying to hold back my tears. I remember that day quite clearly. That day... "Eren... you listen to me... it wasn't your fault. If I could do anything... I would ensure your real mommy would be here with you. She left... because she was... hurting. And... she had to go. We can... we can try and visit her."

"But... you never wanted to visit her..."

I chuckled, kissing his forehead. "I know.. but... I can't tell you the real choice. Just when you're older, okay? Only when you're older. I'll tell you the full story then. This... this I promise. I'll tell you when you're 13."

"W-Why not now?"

"You're too young..." I chuckled, tucking him into bed. "For now, rest. Don't listen to their words about your real mother. Please... alright?"

Eren nodded his head, closing his heavy eyes. "M-Miss Hanji won't replace my real mommy, right?"

"No, Hanji doesn't replace anyone." I chuckled softly, kissing him good night. "Just rest for now. You got a big day of school tomorrow. Try to make more friends, okay? I think Mikasa is starting school next week..."

"Oh..."

"Just sleep now."