Chapter 24: Worries

Levi's POV

Memories began to flood my dreams and reality. Petra was now Hanji. Almost like it was her... but wasn't exactly her. I remember so many worries I had for Petra when she was carrying our son, Eren. How often she would listen to my worries and complied. She basically agreed to my terms when it came to the safety of our baby. 

Hanji was the opposite. Teasing about my terms and constantly joking at how I was an overprotective father. That... that she didn't hate about me. Our unborn baby was still inside of her... and my worries had grown so much. Of course, her teasing only increased. 

Just the wanting of having her by my side grew constant- but as the months continued to pass forward, I didn't want to risk her going into my car and driving all 3 of them to work. I felt relieved whenever it was only me going into work. 

By the usual pleading, it only increased when I didn't bring the kids along. Yes, I worried for Hanji. Yes, I worried for both of the kids. If they stayed home with Hanji, they would be able to take care of her and take care of each other while I'm out working. For what it seemed to be the perfect resolution... it only got tiring when the kids tried to wake up early and stop me from going to work.

Should I be worried more? Or was I not in the wrong?

"Daddy!" Iris calls out to me, pulling on my sleeves. I chuckled to myself, knowing that I can't get away from the kids. "Don't leave us!"

I knelt down, chuckling softly more and more. I rested my hand on her shoulder, smiling softly. "You know that I can't leave your mom at home by herself. She needs you guys to help her and even take care of her. You and Eren are gonna be big siblings soon- and if you help take care of your mom, you can take very good care of your baby sibling."

Iris nodded her head solemnly. "O-Okay..."

Kissing her soft forehead, I smiled softly. "I promise that I'll bring you guys some... doughnuts. How's that? Keep up with the good work, okay? You and Eren."

She nods her head, giggling softly. "Okay!"

"Now, head back to bed. I'm pretty sure you're still tired. Your eyes can't lie to me, Iris."

No matter how much she wanted to resist it- the yawn came attacking her. After her yawn, she rubbed her eyes a bit. "I'm not tired..."

"Do you want me to tuck you back to bed?"

"No..." My eyebrows rose as she crosses her arms and backs into the cabinet. "Yes..."

Dropping everything onto the counter, I gently took her hand and walked her back to the bedroom. How I tried my best to stifle my chuckle when I saw how Eren was sleeping. It was always amusing seeing the blankets kicked off and his arms sprawled out. A sleeping, sleeping child.

Iris hops into her bed, pulling the blanket over herself. Her eyes flickered a bit, trying to prove that she wasn't exactly tired- despite it being early in the morning. 

Falling onto my knees, I pulled the blanket over her- just under her chin. My hand gently caressed her forehead as I smiled softly at her. "Now, you'll be a good girl and go back to sleep, alright? Take good care of your mommy."

"O-Okay..."

I leaned forehead, kissing her warm forehead. "I'll see you soon, I promise. Oh, and don't tell Eren about the doughnuts, okay?"

"Pinky swear." She says, holding out her pinky.

I chuckled, reaching my own pinky finger and gently linking it up with hers. "Pinky swear. Now, close your eyes, dream of the little puppies and kitties, and just sleep."

Iris smiled softly, closing her eyes. She turned just a bit before I heard soft snores. How cute was that...? She was that exhausted. Once more, I kissed her forehead and turned around to get to Eren. He was snoring a bit louder- but I love them all the same. I kissed his forehead as well, chuckling softly. Why are children so pure-hearted?

"I'll see you later on, Eren. Behave."

I left the room, closing the bedroom door- just a slight open. In case if one of them wakes up with a nightmare, which I highly doubt right now- they would be able to run to Hanji. Knowing her, she would always make their nightmares end up with a happy ending. Pure mother material. Too bad that her ex decided to throw her away and not knowing the true Hanji Zoe inside.

Leaving the house, my worries seemed to have disappeared a bit. Hanji, Eren and Iris were safe at home. I didn't have to worry that much. Although other worries attacked my mind... I was able to settle in well with the current situation of them being safe at home.