Chapter 2: Little Chats

Hanji's POV

"Mommy..." I hear little Iris calling my name as I tucked her to bed. Her eyes were quite heavy- which was expected because she had a fun-filled day. "I wanna ask you something..."

I chuckled, sitting next to her on her bed. My hand caressed her cheek as I smiled softly. "Ask me anything, my little flower. Ask away."

She smiles brightly, curling towards me with her brown eyes sparkling. It was a notion towards her curiosity. Whenever I can see them twinkling like that, she was gonna ask a question that would require a lot of time and effort to answer them. She was truly my daughter. "Mommy... are you gonna find some as a dad...?"

"Why do you ask that?'

She shrugged her shoulders, pulling her white tiger plush into her chest. "W-Well... when we were playing... Eren... remember, Mommy? He had a daddy... and he said that his daddy was always cool- just like you, Mommy."

"And you want someone like that?"

She nods her head again. "Yes... is that okay...?"

I kissed her forehead, chuckling softly. "I don't know. You really seemed interesting in that boy, am I right? Does someone have a little crush...?"

Adorable as it was, her cheeks grew red as she pushed me away. "Mommy, stop it! He's a friend." I could've gone on and on about that little joke. At that time, I believed that my little flower shouldn't have to worry too much.

"Have a good night, my little flower."

She grabs my hand, almost like it was her last attempt to keep me back. "Mommy, wait..."

"What is it this time?"

She pushed her blanket off of her, giving me one last hug for the night. "Mommy... I don't want to go to my daddy... please... I want to stay here with you... please, Mommy, please..."

Hugging her back, I had to hide my tears. Tomorrow, she needed to be with the little bastard named Erwin. I didn't want to do it, but what could I have done? I tried all my best to keep her by my side. He shouldn't have any type of custody over her... but at least he spent the weekends with her every month... less time with her.

"Mommy..."

"I'll see what I can do, okay? I know that Daddy's not a good person... but right now... I have no choice. Otherwise we're gonna lose a lot more money... just try to be a good girl, okay? You're strong..."

Iris nodded her head, laying back down in her bed. I could see tears slipping down her face. "O-Okay..."

I wiped her tears away, kissing her forehead and tucking her back into her bed. "Will it make you happy if I asked Eren's father if you can play together? Maybe those other kids at the play date? I just want to see my shining flower beaming happiness."

Her attitude took a different direction. She smiled softly, pulling her white tiger closer to her. "Yes, Mommy..."

"Alright then. I'll go and ask."

"Goodnight, Mommy..." 

I chuckled a bit, kissing one last time on her forehead before turning off her lamp. Her nightlight was gleaming brightly in the darkest corner. I didn't close her bedroom door fully- just leaving a small sliver of space. I took one last peek at Iris, seeing her passed out fully this time. Now, I was able to give out a heavy sigh.

Walking to the kitchen, I got myself a small glass of wine, drinking a few and trying to send Levi a message. After being separated from her other friends when we had to move away, I was overwhelmed with happiness when I heard of her tales with the other children she had been playing with. Well... she was somewhat close to Eren...