53

ALL I DO

ALL I DO.
{ irl }

niola walked into the living room looking braver than ever in her life. nothing about her could show how afraid she was – except for how tightly she was squeezing matt's hand.

"niola!" her father called out when he saw her.

nick, camille, and chris all turned their heads in her direction, causing her grip on matt's hand to tighten. matt felt like all of the bones in his hands were on the verge of breaking, but he ignored it. he knew that this was the only outlet niola had to rid herself of the anxiety she was feeling.

niola saw rayne struggling in her father's arms, whining to be released. when the two sisters made eye contact, something was said between the glance. niola could see herself in rayne's fear. and she knew that she would do absolutely anything to prevent this.

"put her down." niola told him.

"oh, don't be so dramatic." he grumbled, rolling his eyes at her. "i'm just holding my youngest daughter. i mean, i don't get to see you guys everyday. why can't i enjoy the little time we share together."

"can we talk about this outside?" niola asked, not wanting to have this argument in front of everyone. "you're causing a scene."

"i'm only here causing a scene because you decided to run away with raegan." her dad said with a shrug. "but sure. we can go outside if that's what you really want."

matt didn't want to let go of niola's hand. he was afraid of her getting hurt again. but she gave him a reassuring nod, letting him know that she'll be okay on her own. then matt let go, allowing her to lead her father out onto the back porch.

after the door closed behind them, matt watched through the window as they spoke calmly to each other. it looked like  civilized conversation, but he knew better than to believe that.

"what was that?" nick asked.

"i'm not gonna tell you all of her family shit." matt responded, refusing to look away from the porch. "that's her business, not-"

"i'm not talking about that. i put the dots together almost instantly." nick said. "i'm talking about the fact that you guys were holding hands. and then the way you looked at each other when she had to let go."

matt glanced in his direction, "what about it?"

"the intensity of your guys's eye contact was not something that is shared among friends." camille told him.

matt rolled his eyes. "well you can't say much about that, can you? you've been giving chris heart eyes for years. am i not allowed to comfort her when she's going through some tough shit?"

matt knew that what he said was a bit harsh, but he was overwhelmed. all he wanted to do was get out there and help out his girlfriend. being forced to watch from afar was agonizing.

and on top of that, he's now being interrogated about their relationship. yes, he told niola that he would be the one to tell his brothers, but now is definitely not the time for that. because seeing them get excited about something while niola was outside facing her worst fears? it would just piss him off.

chris knew though. he knew that they kissed, and he could tell that something more happened to further push their relationship onto the romance side of things.

he wanted to scream it out at the top of his lungs because he's been waiting for this for so many years. but he wants to respect his brother's choices. matt should be the one to tell everyone, not chris. so he stays quiet.

after a few moments of awkward silence, they hear the sound of arguing from outside. before this, the silvers family was having a quiet discussion and they kept their voices down. but something seemed to have set niola over the edge.

everyone looks toward the door and they see niola yelling in her father's face. but he stayed quiet, everything about him calm and collected – except of his infamous wicked grin.

rayne was now in niola's arms, clinging to her older sister's side.

niola stopped shouting, waiting for her father's response. then, he opened his mouth and said a few sentences. niola's whole demeanor changed. she seemed angry for a second, then she looked at rayne and smiled.

niola said a few words and her dad looked happy. genuinely happy. niola looked like she made a huge decision that she knew she would regret, but she wouldn't take back her choice.

the only one who looked shocked was rayne.

her eyes were wide and her jaw was hanging loose. she started crying and yelling, but her dad ignored her. niola did the same, having nothing to say.

then, her dad opened the back door and held it for his daughters to walk through. their voices became audible and rayne was still shouting. but her words were slurred together and hard to understand.

matt rushed to niola's side and asked her what happened.

she gave him a bittersweet smile and said, "i agreed to let my dad have custody over me and i would go along with any false stories he would tell the court. as long as he didn't take rayne."

"what!?" matt shouted. "you can't do that!"

.∘◦❀◦∘.
a/n : i said it was gonna be happy, i didn't say there weren't any more issues 🙄
what kind of author would i be if i just gave you guys everything you wanted
◦∘.❀.∘◦