March

Chris POV

  Pulling my truck through the drive thru of the Chicken House I order Daphne her large chicken sandwich, potato salad and half n half tea. We compromised once she discovered she was pregnant and I managed to get her to cut down on the super sweet tea Mr. Danny makes by adding in some unsweet. However, I'm in a losing battle as she upgraded her small chicken sandwich to a large. As long as her numbers remain good, I'm not gonna push it. I don't care if she gains sixty pounds, she's a beautiful woman carrying my child. I'll love her if she hits 80 plus.

  "Evans!" I hear a man call me through the drive thru window.

  "Mr. Danny!" I wave from my seat in the truck. "How are you, sir?"

  He takes a few steps closer to the window, resting his arms against the window sill. "A little birdy told me there's gonna be a baby Evans. I told them I had to wait to hear from the horses mouth. So, is Daphne pregnant?"

  I'm sure the wide smile on my face answers his question but I still happily nod and answer. "She is! Almost 20 weeks now."

  "Incredible, man! I'm trilled for both of you." He moves to grab the bag that was just placed on the counter next to him. "This for her?"

  "Yes, sir. She's got parent conferences tonight so I wanted to run some food up to her." He passes me the bag as I hold out a twenty dollar bill.

  He waves off the cash telling me it's on him today. "Thanks, Danny. I'll bring her in this weekend to see ya."

  "Sounds good. Take care of our girl," he tells me before leaving the window, allowing me to drive off before the car behind me starts honking.

~~~~~

Daphne POV

  A sigh of relief escapes me as I walk back through my classroom door after bus duty ends. I quickly clean up my table where I'll be conducting my conferences. Once everything has been moved off to the side, looking at least somewhat decent, I pull open the drawer that has my snacks in it.  "Let's see what can hold me over for the next couple of hours," I mutter aloud to no one but myself.  

  I sift through peanut butter crackers, granola bars, beef jerky and even dried fruit knowing that even if I eat some of each it's not gonna satisfy the little one. But, I can't handle dealing with nausea during these meetings so I decide on high protein, choosing the beef jerky and peanut butter crackers. I reach into my bag next to me and pull out another bottle of water.

  My feet have already begun swelling, which I keep thinking it's too early for that, but Chris and Dr. Kallen both assure me that it's partly because of how much I'm on my feet during the day. The suggestion was to watch my salt intake and drink more water, but sit when possible. So, I lean back in my chair and toss my feet in the seat across from me as I pop a cracker in my mouth.  

  I have thirty minutes before my first conference and I plan on spending it just like this, with maybe a ten minute nap in there somewhere. That plan quickly dashed as I hear a knock on the outside of my door. Thankfully it opens without me speaking or getting up.

  "What are you doing here?" I ask my husband as he walks through the door, straight towards me. He leans down to kiss my lips before crouching a bit further to kiss the nugget growing in my belly.

  "I wanted to make sure my girls were well taken care of this afternoon."

  "How well?" I ask, eyeing that glorious white bag and large styrofoam cup.

  He sets the bag and cup down in front of me. "Why don't you look and see?"  He sits in the chair closest to me as I open the bag. A glorious groan escapes my lips as I pull out a large fried chicken sandwich with lettuce and mayo. "That's not all," he tells me. I reach in again to find potato salad.  Taking a sip of the drink I scrunch my nose up and remember our deal on half n half tea. Chris notices the look. "Better than just water though, right?" I roll my eyes but murmur an I guess under my breath.