April: A Step to Forever

Chris POV

It's eleven in the morning as my alarm tells me it's time to get myself up. Reaching over to grab my phone I instantly know Daphne messed with my phone last night. Normally my alarm simply says ALARM but she changed it to FIRST STEP TO FOREVER. I smile at the thought. She's right though. Heading to Savannah today is our first step to start our forever. I can't wait.
As if on cue my screen shows an incoming call from my beautiful fiancé. "Good morning, sunshine," I say as I answer.
"Good morning! I'm glad you're awake, I was hoping you wouldn't sleep through your alarm."
"I never sleep through an alarm," I remind her even though I've told her countless times it's a hazard of the job. Any sharp noise and I'm up.
"Yeah, yeah, yeah. You say that now but it could change any time. What if we sleep through an alarm on our honeymoon?" She questions me.
I know this is her round about way of trying to get me to spill some details. "Why on earth would we have an alarm set on our honeymoon? Maybe I've rented a hotel room that I'm gonna keep us locked away in. Would that be so bad?" Knowing good and well that's not what I'm doing. Well, not completely.
"That could be fun," she says. I can't even see her but I know she's beet red. I wonder if she'll always be that way when talk of intimacy comes up. It would be cute if it did, retain a certain state of purity to her vow, an innocence.
  "I guarantee it would be, but I'm still not telling you any more details," I quip back with a small laugh.
  I can hear her rolling her eyes, "fine.  You still want to leave at one or what?"
  "Probably around that time. I need to drop Dodger off at the vet. Scott's going to get him when they return from Savannah Sunday. I need to make a couple of phone calls, shower and pack."
  "Christopher Robert Evans! You haven't packed yet?" She yells at me through the phone.
  "Chill out Daphne. I only said that to get a reaction. Behold my success. Yes, I am packed," I reveal to her.
  We end the conversation and I tell her I'll see her around 1 pm.  I take a quick 'firehouse' shower and dress for the day in a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. Since today will be laid back I just grab a ball cap and forego fixing my hair.
  After letting Dodger do his business we load up and head over to the vet. I get him all checked in and let them know Scott will be by to grab him from the after hours staff on Sunday around lunch time. I give him a little fuss over. "Mom and I will see you in a couple weeks bubba." He gives a strong wag of his tail, licks my face and follows the tech into the back of the office.

  Pulling the truck into the station I shoot Daphne a quick text letting her know I should be by a bit before one depending on this last stop.
Strolling in through the garage I'm greeted by both Hayden and the Chief. "Aren't you supposed to be outta town by now?" Hayden asks.
"Soon. This is the last stop I had to make before I pick up Daph. Chief, you got a second to talk about something?"
Chief Parrs nods his head and follows me into the house and up to his office. I'd have spoken about it in front of Hayden but it's meant to be a surprise at the wedding.
"Were you able to get a hold of your friend at the station in Savannah?"
"I did. Everything is set. They'll come up about thirty minutes after the ceremony since you mentioned y'all needed time for photos and all," he tells me.
"Awesome." I stand up and shake his hand thank him again for pulling his strings.
"Ya know Chris, you're the first I've had under me fall in love with their patient. Definitely something for the memory books," he says chuckling. "I couldn't be happier for you and Daphne, son. You're gonna make a fine husband."
"Thank you sir. That means a lot," I respond as I leave his office.
Walking back through the garage to the lot I see Hayden is still cleaning the rig. "We'll see you tomorrow right? In time for the rehearsal?"
"Yeah man. I'll be checking in around 4:30 I think. I'll text you though."
"Sounds good man. Safe travels," I say as I tap the side of the rig as I walk by.

As I knock on Daphne's door I hear her call out for me to come in. Normally I would but this time I'm waiting for her. She calls out again as I knock again.
  Finally she opens the door with a huff. "Why didn't you come in?"
  "Hi. I'm here to pick up my bride. Have you seen her? She has beautiful brown hair and eyes. Gosh those eyes. I could get lost in them. And her smile or laugh is just a ray of light. Did I mention her body? Damn, her body is-"
  "Okay ya big goober! Get in here," Daphne interrupts me pulling me through the door. She's laughing as she gives me a quick peck on the lips. As she pulls back I pout at her. "No sir. Put the lip back. We'll have time for that later. Now help me pack up the truck." She points over to a large pile of luggage in the living room.